Reload this Page >

ActiveX problems in IE 6?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 08-06-07, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi, having a problem with ActiveX I think. As of last night, I cant use the speakeasy.net speed testing site anymore. With my new Verizon FIOS connection I was checking out my speeds and the tests worked fine Friday and Saturday, but Sunday it came up with error message "Internet Explorer has blocked this site...unsafe, blah blah..." On the site itself it says I need to update to at least Flash Version 7, but I have version 9 installed. When I go to the adobe site, it says "Flash Installed", but when I got back to the speakeasy.net site, it still says I need to upgrade...

Now, I haven't had my computer hooked up to the internet since January and I did do the windows updates. Could that have caused some problem? That is the only thing I can think of that might be an issue?
Old 08-07-07, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I tried rolling back the windows updates, adding the speakeasy site to my trusted sites, putting my security level at low while on the site and still nothing. I also can't view flash videos on sites my kids uses like nick.com and the stuffed animal one webkinz and as a result I cant enter the sites which is making for some tense moments. Not really, but my daughter is afraid she wont get to feed her webkinz and they will die.
Old 08-07-07, 08:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know the solution but I also have problems with IE6 and Flash 9. Whenever I encounter it, it kills my session. If you do a google search, there seems to be a lot of complaints with the combination.
Old 08-07-07, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by dleedlee
I don't know the solution but I also have problems with IE6 and Flash 9. Whenever I encounter it, it kills my session. If you do a google search, there seems to be a lot of complaints with the combination.
For me IE7 was just as bad. IE was crashing every time I tried to stream video or audio. I tried searching Adobe (Adobe's online help was useless) and the web for a solution with no luck. . Lots of complaints about Flash and especially the lack of an alternative. I finally had to turn Flash off. That makes for a fun internet expeince. After a few months I gave up and bought a new computer. Ok... rant over.

Unclejosh, you might try to uninstall and reinstall Flash 9. Couldn't hurt to try.
Old 08-08-07, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I will try that tonight, thanks!

What annoys me is it worked fine until those damn Windows updates.
Old 08-08-07, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Unclejosh
I will try that tonight, thanks!

What annoys me is it worked fine until those damn Windows updates.
I though it was part of the Acrobat update.
Old 08-08-07, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I didnt update acrobat until after i got the error message.

Timeline: Roughly

11:00 AM Friday Fios internet installed - all sites work fine
No problems Saturday
10:00 AM Sunday - Windows updates pops up and says i have numerous updates to install...i figure they are ok and start them installing and go out for day.
6:00 PM Sunday I reboot and got to speakeasy to check speed to post on Fios Board...i get the message saying i need to upgrade to Flash 7 or higher and it redirects me to Adobe...at first it blocks me with the error message, but after setting my security to low, it allows me to install flash 9 which honestly i think i already had. anyway, then try to go back to speakeasy, same problem. Redirect, install, repeat over and over to no avail. All ActiveX content is now blocked per the yellow bar underneath address bar and no options to turn it on.

In Mozilla, everything works fine...no issues at all.

I roll back all the Windows updates i can find in Add/Remove Programs, but still doesnt correct problem. WTF????????
Old 08-10-07, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well got everything straightened out, I think. I uninstalled adobe flash 9 and went into the flash folder in program files and there was an adobe update icon, so I double clicked on it and it updated adobe flash and when I rebooted everything worked correctly. Not sure what happened, but glad it seems to be corrected.