Reload this Page >

The latest Firefox update (July 07?)

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 08-05-07, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 537 Likes on 347 Posts

It think it came out back in July? Has anyone tried it yet? Any issues? i think they said Java would act weird until you update Java.
Old 08-05-07, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 155 Likes on 84 Posts
I had a Firefox popup-type notice of an upgrade a week or two ago, and I let it do its thing. Haven't noticed anything weird, but I don't do much of that there fancy stuff in the internets.
Old 08-05-07, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah I had delayed the update so I could see if anyone had major problems.
Old 08-06-07, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts
I haven't had any troubles. All of my add-ons worked fine. I don't think I've had any java issues.
Old 08-06-07, 05:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

cool
Old 08-06-07, 06:18 PM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm getting problems with Java scripts not working on some sites.

Like I tried to pay my Amex bill online the other day and couldn't because their buttons activate a java script. Had to use IE.

This is happenning on both my home and work computers. There was a message after installing the update that my Java Console wasn't compatible, but when I clicked the button to look for an updated version it said it couldn't find anything.

I tried downloading the latest java console on my home computer but it didn't seem to do anything. I'll probably try to fix it again the next time it really bugs me and I have time to look into it.

Not a problem for the most part though.
Old 08-06-07, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JavaScript is not related to Java apart from the first four letters of its name. Blame the confusion on Netscape's marketing team, who to decided to rename LiveScript to try to ride the wave of Java's publicity.

There's a bug in the Java Console extension that causes it to be deactivated whenever you update Firefox. However, the remainder of the Java runtime will continue working despite the update.
Old 08-06-07, 07:26 PM
Banned

I donít use Firefox sounds dodgy from the some of the above posts, I donít upload any Microsoft updates as it slows things down!!!
Old 08-06-07, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by EmpireScreen1
I donít upload any Microsoft updates as it slows things down!!!
I don't think that word means what you think it does.
Old 08-07-07, 01:11 AM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GHackmann
There's a bug in the Java Console extension that causes it to be deactivated whenever you update Firefox. However, the remainder of the Java runtime will continue working despite the update.
Interesting. Do you know how to reactivate the Java Console extension?

Thanks.
Old 08-07-07, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Blade
Interesting. Do you know how to reactivate the Java Console extension?
Java 6 Update 2 will reportedly fix the problem.
Old 08-09-07, 04:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I updated the other day and so far no problems. BTW, was spell check part of the update or is that something new for dvdtalk?
Old 08-09-07, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
After updating to 2.0.0.6, memory usage ballooned up to 200-300MB. The memory settings that I made in 2.0.0.5 are still there, so there must be some other settings that are needed to bring memory usage back down. Out-of-the-box, 2.0.0.5 would grow to 300-400MB (and higher). After making a few changes in about:config, memory usage dropped dramatically.... 50-100MB over the same period of time (that would previously cause it to grow to 400MB).

I downleveled back to 2.0.0.5 and all is well... back to 50-100MB usage.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Here's a tip for heavy Firefox users (2.0.0.5 and older) who are experiencing massive memory usage by Firefox... After a few hours of heavy use, Firefox ballooned to over 400MB.

Firefox attempts to be smart about usage, but in the process doesn't like to give up memory once it uses it (assuming that if it used that much once, it will again)

This is for the tech-savvy, others proceed with caution.
In the address line, enter: about:config

Change or add the following:

browser.cache.memory.capacity = 4096
config.trim_on_minimize = true
network.prefetch-next = false

The network.prefetch-next is really the big one to change. By default, it is set to true and Firefox will attempt to pre-retrieve webpages that are linked from the page(s) in each tab in Firefox. That means potentially a lot of unnecessary network traffic, and memory usage.

After applying these changes, Firefox memory usage dropped from 300-500MB of RAM down to 60MB with a max of 120MB with no noticeable hit to performance.

Last edited by sracer; 08-09-07 at 07:02 PM.
Old 08-09-07, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by sracer
The network.prefetch-next is really the big one to change. By default, it is set to true and Firefox will attempt to pre-retrieve webpages that are linked from the page(s) in each tab in Firefox. That means potentially a lot of unnecessary network traffic, and memory usage.
Pages are prefetched only if the links on the current page are specifically annotated. And those annotations are virtually never used in practice.
Old 08-10-07, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by GHackmann
Pages are prefetched only if the links on the current page are specifically annotated. And those annotations are virtually never used in practice.
That may be the "official" explanation but my firsthand experience says otherwise. (could be a bug in the algorithm that decides what to prefetch)

I had changed those settings, one at a time, over the span of 2 weeks or so. Only a very slight difference in memory usage. After changing the network.prefetch-next, I noticed an immediate (a few hours) and dramatic (100'
s MB) reduction in memory usage.
Old 08-10-07, 08:18 AM
Stealth Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by sracer
After applying these changes, Firefox memory usage dropped from 300-500MB of RAM down to 60MB with a max of 120MB with no noticeable hit to performance.
Those #s look awfully high.

I had 3 tabs open when I started this reply, and RAM usage was at 40MB. With 6 tabs open now (two on youtube watching videos, two on dvdtalk, one gmail, one yahoo mail), it's still at 60MB. FF has been open for about an hour now.