Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Windows can't activate?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Windows can't activate?

Old 07-20-07, 08:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Windows can't activate?

I've been using my new system with Vista Home Premium for a few months and now I'm getting a "Windows is activating" balloon in the lower right corner when I boot. Everything boots fine but then the balloon changes to "Windows cannot activate" and when I click on the balloon I get a screen of chioces that ask me if I want to buy another product key.

I bought this version fair and square from Compusa and would like to know what this means?

Thanks in advance
Old 07-20-07, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts
There isn't anything listed regarding calling Microsoft to activate the key?

I assume you're already connected to the internet, right? Only thing I can think of is that it's trying to activate but unable to find a connection. It doesn't sound like it's saying you have an invalid key... does it?
Old 07-20-07, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
this is one of the MANY MANY bug being reported with vista... actually not all that uncommon...

did you activate and validate your copy of vista within 90 days?... it will run without you validating it up to 90 days...

this can apparently be caused by security software disabling certain services... that when running on Vista make you vulnerable to intrusion...

or to the failure of the service to run correctly as a flat out bug... apparently surrounding the '90 day grace period' to activate or validate vista... see microsoft is going broke from piracy... lol... so they punish you, who bought a legit copy, and the pirates run all the software they want...

i am sure there are many causes...

i often wonder when the average joe will go open source...

try visiting here Link to validate... when you visit there you will either be validated or get a specific error code... apparently the most common error code is '80072EE7'

try the automated phone line method...

many people call microsoft customer service, and are told they need the activation dept., so they are transferred, they're then told by activation they need customer service and are transferred back... etc...

you CAN get a new key from microsoft... but it only works on a clean install... so you need to format and re-install to use it...

it sounds like you may not have validated and activated your copy and went past 90 days... i don't have enough info to make that determination now... you didn't say specifically yea or nay on that...
Old 07-20-07, 11:37 PM

A couple of days after I got the new machine running I activated/validated my copy of vista online.

I just did what it asked me to do back then and have had no problems, just the message that started popping up for the last 5 days.

It does give me a couple of choices to do.
I think it asks me if I want to go to microsoft and buy a new key and asks me If I have a new key to enter the new key. Either which I don't want to do.
Old 07-21-07, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i'm too lazy to look myself but try to go to

http://support.microsoft.com, go to the Vista section and search in the knowledge base
Old 07-23-07, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
it will run without you validating it up to 90 days...
Actually, it's 30 days, but with the rearm command you can stretch it out to 120 days.

I say just call the activation number and complain... MS is pretty liberal with their license keys.
Old 07-25-07, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rex Fenestrarum
Actually, it's 30 days, but with the rearm command you can stretch it out to 120 days.

I say just call the activation number and complain... MS is pretty liberal with their license keys.
i mis-spoke... you are right... 30 days extendable to 90 days

you are the first person i've ever seen mention 120 days... including the microsoft web site and other places...

are you sure of that info?... where did you get that?...

this 'validation problem' post is due to this mindless '1984'-style idea of "treat EVERY customer like a criminal UNTIL they prove differently" that microsoft has put into effect in Vista, i'm gonna rant a little on that subject... the fact that it 'phones home' and tracks you and your IP and hardware... under the guise of fighting the 'rampant software piracy' that, even with this, somehow microsoft grew to be the most powerful, largest, and richest software company in the world... but that's not enough for them... they need to treat people as criminals on a regular basis... even if it causes the problems like the OP has here... they don't care about that... and with the thousands and thousands of headaches already happening so early in vista's deployment... microsoft continues to call their 'genuine microsoft' stuff "quick and simple" for users... and a 'feature' that's good for you....

and the fact is there are already cracks for the vista validation freely available on the internet... so as usual pirates still run pirated stuff... it's the mothers and fathers and average joes that go through the headaches and are accused of being a thief every 180 days or with each new download...

microsoft just isn't that talented on software... they are talented at acquiring things and adding to them... i read a few articles that it took a good software person three hours to crack vista's validation... does that appear to be the work of 'microsoft software geniuses'? maybe it does to some i guess...

microsoft is banking on the apathy, laziness, or people who just aren't technical, which is MOST people, so they don't understand the issue or the problem... microsoft is counting on these things and others in the american public to mindlessly accept anything microsoft wants to do... no matter how much of an invasion of their privacy... no matter how many security risks and theft risks and the like the software opens the user up to... they bank no one would DARE spend a few weeks familiarizing themselves with Solaris, Linux distro's like Ubuntu, or FreeBSD or the like... which are free and would save the user hundreds to thousands of dollars in real money... OS's which don't phone home or invade privacy like windows... and are inherently more secure and reliable... and don't accuse you to be a thief with downloads or every 180 days... whichever comes first...

microsoft is probably banking right... i simply can't believe anyone would run Vista... unless they are completely unaware of the reality of it, which is why i write this post and many similar posts around the internet, to give some info to the people who might want to know it... or maybe people just blindly trust microsoft with every piece of data they have on their computer... but microsoft is banking on people saying or thinking something along the lines of "some 'techie' friend told me vista was bad for some reason i didn't understand, but its the next big thing, and what else can i do? i need a new computer and that Linux is too complicated for me, i've never even tried Linux or Mac once, but i'm just going to assume that's true"...

this assumption mostly because that's the way the idea was shaped by companies like microsoft and the software companies, magazines and publications, etc. that depend on them for revenue... and the hilarious thing is, these user's are constantly being infected, having to keep MULTIPLE security programs running and updated, firewalls, anti-spyware, anti-virus, etc. to plug holes in the many flaws of windows, the product of the 'microsoft software geniuses', struggles with drivers, formatting and re-installing of windows, BILLIONS of dollars lost to businesses by worms and and viruses and invasions that microsoft software ran automatically in some cases(anyone remember the outlook thing that hit the world?), licensing hassles, compatibility hassles, packaged browsers like IE, that the homeland security dept BANS the use of, that CERT describes as a critical threat to your PC, etc... and all this stuff is somehow perceived as the 'ease of use' of windows... it astounds me...

so few actually have tried an Ubuntu or Mac or FreeBSD or the like install for themselves...so they buy this 'get the fact's' and 'ease of use' propaganda by microsoft and it's many dependent companies... like the magazines, AV, firewall, anti spyware, and etc...

articles like these covers the vista subject topically... there are hundreds or more of other articles like it on the internet... some quick google searches will find them, though microsoft has been working hard at spamming the search engines so you have to go more than 20 links deep in many cases... read some of the linked articles and posts for some info on the subject... if you care to...

Link...

Link...

when i explain to people there are more than 50 services on windows vista that collect your personal information in various ways and almost half of them 'phone home' to microsoft and report the info.... i actually have people DEFEND this... it's like brainwashing or something... they tell me all sorts of nonsense... "microsoft just uses the data to make better software" comes up a lot... then tell that same person someone wants to come to their house and gather all that info but promises not to do anything bad with it and watch the reaction, suddenly common sense kicks in and they don't want thatperson knowing all their info... people who shred their documents before throwing them away suddenly don't mind this invasion of privacy by microsoft...when i explain that in the EULA microsoft tells you they will collect your IPV4 and TCP/IP data(which can reveal everything you do on the internet) and send that info to to microsoft to help 'refine and improve' their IPV6 software... granted people don't understand a lot of this, but i just marvel how eager people are to 'go vista' like it's a cool new car or something they just have to have...

and i have long said this vista OS gathers all this info, and runs the new 'search' and 'file association' stuff so the next generation of spyware won't have to work so hard...

Dell is offering Winxp again after they apparently played hardball with microsoft behind closed doors, and offering rebates to customers to let them get winXP and get rid of vista... by popular demand and the findings of Dell in testing... i think a few other OEM's are doing this...

i will never load or run windows Vista... ever... under any circumstance... companies like IBM, and a growing list of others, feel the same way...
Old 07-28-07, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by WOWZY
A couple of days after I got the new machine running I activated/validated my copy of vista online.

I just did what it asked me to do back then and have had no problems, just the message that started popping up for the last 5 days.

It does give me a couple of choices to do.
I think it asks me if I want to go to microsoft and buy a new key and asks me If I have a new key to enter the new key. Either which I don't want to do.
You could call Microsoft and explain the situation, after which they'll likely give you a new key. (They gave me a new key when I swapped motherboards for one with non-buggy drivers.)
Old 07-30-07, 01:03 AM

I got this fixed on fri the 20th. Sorry guys been outa town for the last week and didn't get a chance to post my findings.

I just happened to go to "control panel">"system" and saw an activation link at the bottom of the screen. I clicked on the "activate by phone" and called the number. The automated system had me read off the numbers in 9 different columns and something didn't jive so the system tranfered me a tech and he had me enter in new numbers in the blank columns and all has been well since.

Thanks for the replies