Reload this Page >

WinXP still not recognizing full HDD space after SP2

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 07-14-07, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I installed WinXP on a PC with a 320GB HDD. It shows up fine in the BIOS, but in WinXP it only shows up as a 127GB HDD. I knew this was a problem with XP, so I downloaded SP2 thinking that this would fix it, but now I'm still left with 127GB free, and 170GB listed as "Unallocated". I can make this 170GB into another partition, but I don't really need to do that. Is there anyway I can just expand the current partition to use up the full amount?
Old 07-14-07, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've never heard of that problem with XP ... how old is your motherboard? The limitation has always been more hardware based (to my knowledge).

One stupid idea ...

Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Management

Check to see if the drive is formatted as NTFS or FAT32.
Old 07-14-07, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
do i understand you to say?... when in the bios you see a 320 gig hard drive...

when you are at the partition screen during the install of windows xp and you choose ntfs file system... you only see a 127 gig hard drive?...

you mention something about 170 gigs unallocated?... this leaves me a a tad confused... where is the problem?...

if you installed and partitioned/formatted the drive at 127 gigs size and have left over 127 gigs of free space? i am also wondering how you have 127 gigs FREE on a disk you say only shows up as a 127 gig hard drive AFTER you installed windows XP and SP2?...

if the size of 127 is a mistake or something then the unallocated space of 170 gigs after SP2 makes perfectly logical sense... you didn't partition and format it during the install...

unlike UNIX windows doesn't have the ability to actually 'grow' a system partition on the disk... though that feature is in the endless list of 'promises' about Vista...

as that post is written i am confused as to your situation...
Old 07-14-07, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
http://www.theeldergeek.com/hard_drives_05.htm
Old 07-14-07, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are several ways around this, the best would be to create a slipstreamed SP2 XP CD

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...slipstream.asp

You could also use a partition maanger software like partition magic (and about a dozen others) to just extend your partition into the existing space.

There is nothing wrong with just making the second drive letter.

You can also put the atapi.sys file from SP2 on to a floppy, when installing XP press F6 when prompted to load a 3rd party hard drive controller and put that floppy in.
Old 07-14-07, 09:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just use Partition Magic, or Disk Director suite. To merge the unallocated space with your 120gb and all should be fine.
Old 07-14-07, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 4KRG
There are several ways around this, the best would be to create a slipstreamed SP2 XP CD
+1
when I built my current system I installed xp pro and nero
used thesp2 cd I had from MS to make the slipstreamed image
burned it with nero
rebooted and wiped my partition and started over installing with the slip stream cd
Old 07-16-07, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
I've never heard of that problem with XP ... how old is your motherboard? The limitation has always been more hardware based (to my knowledge).
This is a known issue with pre-SP2 XP. SP2 added 48-bit LBA addressing to the OS, which allows Windows to utilize all of the space on a hard drive. Prior to this, the limit was 127GB.

Slipstreaming is the best way to go with this, since XP will be able to deal with disks larger than 127GB at install time. However, as others have mentioned, something like Partition Magic works too. I used to use BootitNG for occasions like this, since they (used to) offer a free, fully-functional 30-day demo that can expand partitions as needed. (I don't know if they still offer the demo, though... you'd have to go to the site and check it out).