Really dumb ? re: saving internet images to Mac

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 07-09-07, 05:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A little background:
Alright, so I just got a Macbook Pro and have mostly used PCs in the past. Last Christmas, I got an iPod and used my moms computer to some music on it. Tonight I used music rescue software to pull the music off my iPod and save to the computer. Many didn't save with the cover art and when I linked the art with the files originally I pulled some images off the internet (for better, more clear images). Anyway, now I cannot figure out how to save an image from the internet to my mac. With a PC, I could right click the mouse and save to a file. With the scroll pad, I simply am not sure how to select the image and where to save it. Stupid I know, but it is driving me crazy. Any help is greatly appreciated. THANKS!
Old 07-09-07, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Easy method: Simply click and drag the image to the desktop.

Other method: Hold the Control key and click on the image. You will have a series of options in the contextual menu.
Old 07-09-07, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 206 Likes on 123 Posts
Or, put two fingers on the track pad and click the button with your thumb - that functions as a right click on the Macbook Pro as well.
Old 07-09-07, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think that feature has to be enabled. Go to Apple Menu->System Preferences. Click Keyboard and Mouse, it's under the Trackpad section.
Old 07-10-07, 11:08 AM

Or you can take a screengrab - Ctrl-Apple 4 and click & drag. useful if you just want part of an image and cant be bothered to open a program and crop it manually
Old 07-13-07, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

or ... buy a PC.
Old 07-13-07, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by ChiTownAbs, Inc
or ... buy a PC.
Naw, that opens up a whole new set of problems.
Old 07-13-07, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by ChiTownAbs, Inc
or ... buy a PC.
In IE for Windows, I don't think you can even do something as trivial as dragging an image off a webpage.

Maybe IE 7?
Old 07-13-07, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by CRM114
In IE for Windows, I don't think you can even do something as trivial as dragging an image off a webpage.

Maybe IE 7?
I have IE6 and I can do it.
Old 07-13-07, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yes, that's far more trivial than being able to install all of the programs you want to use.

I use both a Mac and a PC and far prefer the PC as of now for most of my needs. Of course, I also have more invested in my PC (larger screen, software, etc) since that is what I use the most now. And of course, there are some things that the Mac does beautifully compared to Windows.

I've toyed with the idea of running Windows on the Mac so I can switch between the two but don't see the point yet since I have both systems networked. I'd like to play with that someday.

And yes, you can drag images in modern versions of IE. I'm pretty sure you can't do it on a 1995 Mac either.
Old 07-13-07, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Considering that this was a thread with a question about what you could do on a Mac, I don't see why anyone bringing up PCs is even relevant.
Old 07-13-07, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson
Yes, that's far more trivial than being able to install all of the programs you want to use.

I use both a Mac and a PC and far prefer the PC as of now for most of my needs. Of course, I also have more invested in my PC (larger screen, software, etc) since that is what I use the most now. And of course, there are some things that the Mac does beautifully compared to Windows.

I've toyed with the idea of running Windows on the Mac so I can switch between the two but don't see the point yet since I have both systems networked. I'd like to play with that someday.

And yes, you can drag images in modern versions of IE. I'm pretty sure you can't do it on a 1995 Mac either.
What programs can't you install? This thread is about saving images.

And yes, you could always drag an image from a Mac browser.

I just tested my Windows box with IE6 and when I drag an image, I get "Do you want to move or copy files from this zone?" And then it creates some shortcut on the dekstop. NO, I just want to drag this damn image to the desktop!

Another thing that bugs me about IE for Windows. On a Mac, if you type "google" or "espn" in the URL bar, its smart enough to go to that site. On IE for Windows, it thrashes for a moment and drops you off at some MS search site.

Last edited by CRM114; 07-13-07 at 11:59 AM.
Old 07-13-07, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Draven
Considering that this was a thread with a question about what you could do on a Mac, I don't see why anyone bringing up PCs is even relevant.
Heh, just like the people who put in "download Safari" or "download Firefox" in the IE question thread a few days back.
Old 07-13-07, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Heh, just like the people who put in "download Safari" or "download Firefox" in the IE question thread a few days back.
Safari and Firefox are both available for Windows and would solve the problems of the OP in the future. You know, the browsers that are actually innovative!
Old 07-13-07, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts
Safari and Firefox are both available for Windows and would solve the problems of the OP in the future. You know, the browsers that are actually innovative!
Uh huh.
Old 07-13-07, 06:04 PM

i'm surprised that the trackpads on the laptop still only have one button. probably from a design point of view, but apple now includes mighty mice with their desktop. but yeah just hold CTRL and click and there's your right click.