Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

ASUS notebooks.

Old 06-17-07, 09:32 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ASUS notebooks.

do any of you use ASUS notebooks?
if so, which?

i am looking for a notebook and i am not sure how i want to handle it.
i would LOVE a samsung, but i doubt that will happen any time soon.
the brands i am looking at are the aforementioned, dell, hp and toshiba.

i am looking for a computer that will be primarily a multimedia notebook, and will be doing alot of multi tasking.
i would like all black. no preference for mouse.
widescreen if possible, and just for kicks, a fingerprint reader?
i don't really know.

screen size, no more than a 15 but no smaller than a 13.

how do you guys feel about ASUS?

also, are there any other companies besides toshiba that put HD-DVD players into their notebooks?

thanks.
Old 06-18-07, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Don't know specifically about Asus since they haven't been able to squeeze into many larger hardware chains in Australia, but everyone says they are good. Then again, they said that about LG laptops too.
The top end HP DV9000 series laptop has a HD-DVD drive in it, and comes with a TV tuner as well, but you'll be going up to a 17" size then. Here in Australia, even Toshiba's HD-DVD drive model is a 17".
If you don't want to go larger than 15" then stick with either HP or Toshiba. They've been making laptops longer than anyone else, and while I can't dispute that Asus make good laptops, I can't say that they will still be making laptops in the near future, so support might end up being a worry. Just advising you to be cautious is all.
Old 06-18-07, 05:48 PM
Banned

okay, i'm definitely not going to consider an ASUS then.
even those things are so beautiful.

no new news on samsung and their contract with dell?
Old 06-19-07, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by im_ryandick
okay, i'm definitely not going to consider an ASUS then.
even those things are so beautiful.

no new news on samsung and their contract with dell?
Didn't mean to scare you out of an Asus, I was just talking in my Salesperson mode. Go and check an Asus out, see what the build quality is like, and make sure you get it from someone who can give you a big discount on extra warranty. Buy it from a big store and not online, so you have a point of contact in case something goes wrong.
Old 06-19-07, 10:54 PM

I love Asus motherboards... I'm sure lots of other people agree too!

Not sure if that helps, but if their hardware is top notch, I don't see why their other hardware would be anything but great as well.
Old 06-20-07, 10:38 AM
Banned

i've decided one large factor in my purchase is that i want a laptop with an HD-DVD drive. hp have a few nice ones. the dv6500 looks like the best, but customized so everything is top notch.

without getting a 17" monitor, though, i can't get the HDMI port in the back. does this really make a difference? i don't know if that should be a deciding factor or not, because if my LCD can do 1080p through VGA, can't i connect that to the laptop, which outputs in HD, and just be set?
Old 06-20-07, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've always love ASUS motherboards too. I used to work at a local computer service company (10 years ago) who built all their house-brand PCs with ASUS parts. The RMA room was always full of hard drives and power supplies, but verrrry few motherboards. I'm still friends with some of the staff there and they say it's the same today.

Man, that ASUS W5Fe Sideshow is a looker.
Old 06-20-07, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Read this before you do anything. Sure, it is a little dated, but you get the idea. HP and Toshiba don't make laptops, they design an enclosure for parts that they contract out for.