Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

To Vista or not to Vista?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 03-16-07, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, it's finally arrived - my free Vista "upgrade" from HP.

Got two discs - an HP upgrade assistant and Home Premium Express Upgrade.

I don't know what to do with it.

For me, XP - at home, at least - is still all "new." I had used W98 until Nov. 2006. Part of me wants to do it, because I enjoy "tinkering" with the PC. But part of me doesn't want to risk messing anything up, or having things run slower, or not at all. You know the drill.

I remember reading there were issues with Nvidia drivers for Vista, as in there weren't any or they were betas. Anyone know the status of that?

Not sure what I would gain from a Vista upgrade, aside from the look. Better just to wait a while?
Old 03-16-07, 12:14 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

If it were me, I'd just put those aside and continue to happily run xp. Far better to spend my time on other things instead of constantly fiddling around with the brand new Vista. Unless of course you have time and like to constantly fiddle around with software and hardware.
Old 03-16-07, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hold off. If I could still have XP media Edition at home, I would.
Old 03-16-07, 12:20 PM

That's what I've got, Media Center. I like the way it looks and works. I've adjusted to it quite well.

Before coming across this Black Friday special I bought, I was going to wait for Vista before buying a new computer. But now, I feel glad that I bought a native XP machine instead.

To do nothing is always easiest. Hopefully when I do it the drivers and what not will have matured and things will be working better. I don't believe I have any hardware issues to worry about.
Old 03-16-07, 06:11 PM

the most compelling reason to upgrade to vista is if you need 4gb ram. but if you stay with xp, majority of people don't need 4gb ram.
Old 03-16-07, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by kvrdave
Hold off. If I could still have XP media Edition at home, I would.
i feel bad for people buying computers today because they are stuck with vista
Old 03-16-07, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Other than tinkering and curiosity, can you come up with a single reason to do it? I didn't think so. The end.

das
Old 03-16-07, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
I like using it, but unless you're the type that likes playing with new technology and ready to deal with possible headaches, i'd avoid it or just set it aside for a year or so.
Old 03-16-07, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by her34
the most compelling reason to upgrade to vista is if you need 4gb ram. but if you stay with xp, majority of people don't need 4gb ram.
Isn't it that if you upgrade to Vista, you could then benefit from 4 gig of ram? My understanding is going over 2 doesn't make a diff in XP.

No, I can't think of a reason I HAVE to do it, other than to have the latest, greatest, newest, etc. And the "kewl" Aero interface.

I've already got parts of it - IE7, which I hardly if ever use, and Media Player 11. I had Windows Defender for a while, but removed it when it seemed to be causing a problem with CoD2.
Old 03-16-07, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Altimus Prime
That's what I've got, Media Center. I like the way it looks and works. I've adjusted to it quite well.

Before coming across this Black Friday special I bought, I was going to wait for Vista before buying a new computer. But now, I feel glad that I bought a native XP machine instead.

To do nothing is always easiest. Hopefully when I do it the drivers and what not will have matured and things will be working better. I don't believe I have any hardware issues to worry about.
I bought an HP notebook the Friday before Vista was released. It has Windows Media Center Edition and I'm having a blast with it. I ordered the free Vista upgrade (shipped yesterday) and I'll be storing sitting those discs aside in case I ever want to upgrade.

But considering the differences between XP-based Media Center and Vista-based version, I'll sit tight with XP MCE. I've got some MCE plug-ins working great (like ShowAnalyzer commercial skip) and I don't want to go through the hassle of getting everything working under Vista.
Old 03-16-07, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

People are really down on Vista, huh? I have had no problems other than with iTunes.
Old 03-16-07, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a question: I bought an HP pc that came with Vista Home Premium and I just burned my recovery cds. Can I do a clean install of Vista with those or am I stuck with all the crappy HP softwares that come along?
Old 03-16-07, 10:25 PM

And here's a question: In going from XP Media Center to Vista Home Premium, do I lose any features or functions that were in XP Media Center but not in Vista Prem?
Old 03-16-07, 10:49 PM

Isn't it that if you upgrade to Vista, you could then benefit from 4 gig of ram? My understanding is going over 2 doesn't make a diff in XP.
if you install 4gb ram, xp and 32bit vista will not see all of it. depending on your system you will see a variable amount from 2gb - 3.25gb. this is true of any 32bit OS (i.e. it's a 32bit limitation, not msft fault)

the only nice thing i have to say about vista is 64bit. msft requires that any company which makes vista32bit drivers also concurrently release 64bit drivers if they want whql. most companies will do this. so running vista 64bit should be quite practical for a user, unlike windows xp64bit.
Old 03-16-07, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And here's a question: In going from XP Media Center to Vista Home Premium, do I lose any features or functions that were in XP Media Center but not in Vista Prem?
I think it depends upon your particular setup and the plug-ins that you use. I frequent THE GREEN BUTTON for MCE-related stuff.
Old 03-16-07, 11:01 PM

I just read some stuff about there being issues with the 7900 GS and Vista - fan issues, as in it running all the time, and overheating problems. Sounds like it may be driver related. That seems like a good reason to wait.

To be honest, I haven't touch much of the TV/MCE features of my pc. I've run it exactly once.
Old 03-16-07, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just read some stuff about there being issues with the 7900 GS and Vista - fan issues, as in it running all the time, and overheating problems. Sounds like it may be driver related. That seems like a good reason to wait.

To be honest, I haven't touch much of the TV/MCE features of my pc. I've run it exactly once.
I bought an expresscard TV tuner for my notebook... It's fantastic! I find myself recording movies off of cable because commercials are now automatically edited out.
Old 03-16-07, 11:49 PM

My computer right now isn't anywhere near a cable hookup. I'm sure some day that won't be the case.