Reload this Page >

Calling all Vonage users: Dumb Vonage question

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 03-15-07, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm considering switching to Vonage, and I have a very basic question.

I understand the Vonage box/router is hooked to my cable modem, and the phone connects to that.

But if that box is located in an upstairs room, how do I connect the rest of the phones in the house?

Do I have to run all the phone lines back up to the Vonage router?
Old 03-15-07, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by 12thmonkey
I'm considering switching to Vonage, and I have a very basic question.

I understand the Vonage box/router is hooked to my cable modem, and the phone connects to that.

But if that box is located in an upstairs room, how do I connect the rest of the phones in the house?

Do I have to run all the phone lines back up to the Vonage router?
The way phone systems are wired makes it so that you can just plug the Vonage's phone jack into your wall jack, and that will distribute the signal to the other jacks in the house.

There are some things to consider, though...

There are issues with how many phones you can have running off of the vonage signal. Something about ringer strength or something. I've got mine set up with just a cordless base and two handsets, so it's not a concern, but if you're planning on plugging in a decent amount of phones to the lines, then it may be something to look into.

The other big thing is that you have to physically disconnect your phone lines from the incoming phone company lines. Even after you cancel your phone service, it's still possible for the phone company to send voltage through the line, and that can fry your Vonage equipment.

There's a pretty good guide on how to do all this stuff here. There's a lot of information there, and a lot of it won't apply to you, as it's just going through all the possible installation scenarios, but it's helpful to read through it, just to get an idea for what needs doing.
Old 03-15-07, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i'm probably going to switch from vonage

prices going up and they will probably go up some more since they lost a patent lawsuit
Old 03-15-07, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just to stress this part:
The other big thing is that you have to physically disconnect your phone lines from the incoming phone company lines. Even after you cancel your phone service, it's still possible for the phone company to send voltage through the line, and that can fry your Vonage equipment.
You must disconnect telco service before plugging your vonage adapter into your household wiring, or there is a very real chance you'll fry it.
Old 03-15-07, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by al_bundy
i'm probably going to switch from vonage
Don't forget that if it's been less than a year there's an early disconnection fee.
Old 03-15-07, 03:08 PM

Just an FYI if you have an alarm then you have to wire the Vonage box before the alarms jack.

The reason why is because your alarm panel has a special telephone jack called RJ31 that is a special purpose jack. Basically it is a bypass that is wired in front all of your other phone devices so that if the line the is in use the alarm system can take over in case it needs to dial your security monitor.

I rewired my Vonage to my distribution panel so it it is in front of the RJ31 jack and therefore the security system can use Vonage like a normal phone line and it is also supplied to all my phone jacks.

I used these links to help me understand and figure this out:

http://michigantelephone.mi.org/distribute.html

http://www.hometech.com/learn/rj31x.html

After I rewired I called my alarm company and told them I had done some home-construction and wanted to test my alarm and it all worked like a regular phone line.
Old 03-15-07, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Premise
Don't forget that if it's been less than a year there's an early disconnection fee.
i've had it for a few years
Old 03-16-07, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Dave99
Just to stress this part:

You must disconnect telco service before plugging your vonage adapter into your household wiring, or there is a very real chance you'll fry it.
Here's another dumb question:
By disconnect I'm assuming you mean cancel. How do you go about doing that and then not risk losing your original phone number?
Old 03-16-07, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by 12thmonkey
Here's another dumb question:
By disconnect I'm assuming you mean cancel. How do you go about doing that and then not risk losing your original phone number?
If you want to keep your original number, then you'll need to get it transferred over. There's a thing on Vonage's site where you can put in your current number and they'll tell you if it's eligible to be transferred over. When you sign up for Vonage, you can opt to get your current number transferred, and then you'll just fill out some forms that they email you and that'll transfer the number over. I don't remember if they cancel your old service for you, though.

By disconnect, we're not referring to just cancelling the service, but physically disconnecting the wiring. Right now, you've got the phone company's wiring connected to the network of phone jacks in your house. Before you hook your Vonage modem into this network, you need to physically disconnect the wiring so that no voltage can come from your phone company's end and kill your equipment. How you'll have to do this depends on the kind of equipment used in the interface box that actually joins your wiring and the phone company's, but that site I linked in my previous post seems to cover a lot of the possibilities.