DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Tech Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tech-talk-10/)
-   -   I Just Ordered FIOS TV & Internet (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tech-talk/495238-i-just-ordered-fios-tv-internet.html)

Struz 03-14-07 02:19 PM

I Just Ordered FIOS TV & Internet

I already had Verizon home phone. I added the premium TV package and the Internet service (15mps/5mps).

Currently I have Directv and optimum online.
I pay about $60 per month for my home phone.
$75 per month for Dirtectv and $ 50 per month for optimum online,
for a total of $185 for all 3.

Now with FIOS it will cost me $140 per month for all 3.
I just bought an HD TV so I will get 20 HD channels with FIOS.
Plus I am getting a multi-room DVR that records in HD that 2 other TV's can
access.

Anyone else have FIOS ?

Jeremy517 03-14-07 02:31 PM

I'm waiting to sign up until FiOS TV is available here. We've had FiOS internet access available for a while, but still no TV. Rumors are that it might be available in September, but who knows.

Once it is available, I'll be dropping DirecTV very quickly.

Struz 03-14-07 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Jeremy517
I'm waiting to sign up until FiOS TV is available here. We've had FiOS internet access available for a while, but still no TV. Rumors are that it might be available in September, but who knows.

Once it is available, I'll be dropping DirecTV very quickly.

Jeremy,

Are you happy with the internet service ?
Is is fast ?

Jeremy517 03-14-07 02:48 PM

Sorry, I meant that I'm waiting to sign up for both until TV is available, but that FiOS Internet access has been an option for us for a while now.

I do know someone who has it already though, and yes it is very fast, and yes he is quite happy with it.

ngp 03-14-07 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Struz
Jeremy,

Are you happy with the internet service ?
Is is fast ?

I've had the FIOS internet / phone service for about 9 months now and its been great. I don't know the exact speed but things work very well and it definitely is better than my 1.5Mbps DSL service that I had previously.

The one thing to note is that they will install a battery backup for your phone service in the event that power goes out. They say it lasts for about 6 or so hours. One interesting thing that the installer had said at the time was that during a power outage, we can make calls but not receive...not sure how accurate that is...we have rec'd calls during a power outage.

jonw9 03-14-07 06:03 PM

I wish something like this is available around here.

I am considering dropping cable and "high-speed" for ATT DSL and Dish Network.

I can get more channels (200), plus HD, plus a better connection (3-6 Mbps up, 512-768 down) with a DVR box for less than I am currently paying for digital and cable modem.

I just don't know about Dish Network (last I heard DTV was better). But I would get additional "HD" channels and the HD-DVR.

Timber 03-14-07 07:36 PM

I've had the tv and internet for a little less then a year now. The internet is outstanding. I have the 15/2 package and it's very fast and I have had not one outage in my time with them.

The tv I'm not in love with. When I first got it I loved the HD selection but they haven't added anything yet. The DVR is garbage, there is some differing opinion on it but if you came from Tivo you will be sorely disappointed. It does wacky things like not record scheduled shows and not give you a reason why. It also has a habit of jumping to the end of a show if you FF to fast. If I had the money for 3 series 3's then the tv service would be very good.

Also there are no local offices so if you want to add a box or exchange a box there will be a service call and you will most likely miss time from work and have to pay them for the privilege.

Chew 03-15-07 06:35 AM

Apparently, AT&T's "U-Verse" is going to be available in my area either June or July.

Originally Posted by Timber
If I had the money for 3 series 3's then the tv service would be very good.

I do have a Series 3 and am very happy to just use the OTA. Does FIOS use cablecards then that you could use a Series 3 with it? (I heard the AT&T DVR is a piece of crap as well!)

Originally Posted by jonw9
I can get more channels (200), plus HD, plus a better connection (3-6 Mbps up, 512-768 down) with a DVR box for less than I am currently paying for digital and cable modem.

Did you reverse your "up" and "down"? :)

That 3-6Mbps is a pretty huge range. I'm happy with my fairly consistent 5Mpbs Road Runner, but would switch if it really got to 6. Can you say what you actually get for speed?

matome 03-15-07 08:35 AM

Still waiting for FIOS which is not available in my NYC suburb. Pretty annoying.

Barney1234 03-15-07 12:23 PM

I want fios so badly!

Timber 03-15-07 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Chew
Apparently, AT&T's "U-Verse" is going to be available in my area either June or July.

I do have a Series 3 and am very happy to just use the OTA. Does FIOS use cablecards then that you could use a Series 3 with it? (I heard the AT&T DVR is a piece of crap as well!)

Yes you can use cablecards. I think they are $3.95 per a month, and again you're going to have to pay $25 for them to come out if you don't do it on your initial setup.

Speaking of the crappy DVR. Both of my 8pm recordings from last night (Bones, and Jericho) are messed up. In the program description it shows the length of the show but when I play it the status bar says they are only 5 or so minutes long. I can get through more then 5 minutes but if I try to FF thru the commercials it ends the program.

tronmaster 03-15-07 03:21 PM

Sigh, Verizon sold it's phone business here in Hawaii, only Verizon Wireless is left. Several years ago when Verizon was putting FIOS up, I checked their website and entered my zip code, it said coming soon.

Now we have either Road Runner or the current Hawaiian telephone company's lousy DSL to choose from. I wish we had FIOS.