Reload this Page >

new to Firefox..I got ??

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

new to Firefox..I got ??

Old 02-19-07, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new to Firefox..I got ??

I've been using the Netscape browser for years.. now on 8.2
I didn't see the need to change over to firefox because Net worked fine for me & I didn't want to deal with changing everything over..
well Net is taking a dump on me starting Sunday morn...
so fire fox it is..
imagine my suprise when it takes all my bookmarks & passwords over...yea baby..

anyway what add-ons are a must & which one's are good..
any good web sites??
Old 02-19-07, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions.php?app=firefox

smoothwheel
adblock plus
adblock filter updater
noscript - if you want better security but kinda a hassle
nightly tester
ook? video for downloading youtube videos.
Old 02-19-07, 01:07 PM

My favorite Firefox extension is Forecastfox. Gives you current weather conditions and forecast right in the browser. Highly configurable. I put my info to the right of the "File Edit" line at the top of the screen. The lack of a comparable feature for Opera is what keeps me from using it and staying with FF.

There's an extension, I believed called Cute Icons, that will put icons in the slide down and popup menus.

You may want to get a mouse gestures extension, for easy navigation. For a while I used rocker gestures for going back and forward.

I also like AdBlock, which lets you selectively filter out content.

I used to dable with the themes, but lately have stuck with the default.
Old 02-19-07, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
just remember if you use adblock, you'd have to add this site to the whitelist or the forum buttons will be gone. just type in @@http://ads.kleinman.com
Old 02-19-07, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I liked adblock, but found it conflicted with lots of other stuff other than ads.

I probably could configure it to allow the conflict stuff to work, but I gave up after running into 10 sites that coughed on it (and not on the ads).
Old 02-19-07, 01:27 PM
lxl

If I remember right, Netscape can use IE rendering engine, you can get IE Tab for firefox.

I also recommend:
. Tab Mix Plus
. Super DragAndGo
. Gmail Manager (if you use Gmail).
Old 02-19-07, 01:29 PM
lxl

Originally Posted by Seeker
I liked adblock, but found it conflicted with lots of other stuff other than ads.

I probably could configure it to allow the conflict stuff to work, but I gave up after running into 10 sites that coughed on it (and not on the ads).
You can always add your own exception rules
Old 02-19-07, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
sure - but every time I run into a site with an adblock problem, I have to add new exception rules - addins should not have to be tweaked every time you go to a new site... at least imho
Old 02-19-07, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I use Forecast Fox, Gmail Notifier, IE View, Sage, Tab Mix Plus, Tiny URL Creator, AdBlock and FootieFox. Although quite often I turn AdBlock off.
Old 02-19-07, 02:42 PM

I'm not sure which ad block I use, but I use it without any settings automatically included. I only block what I select to block.

And I do it so all ads from a source are blocked, not just one. For instance, a specific ad may be www.ad.com/specificad. I delete "specificad" and block www.ad.com.
Old 02-19-07, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Although it's not an extension, I recommend that you get MozBackup. Firefox sometimes crashes and causes the browser to revert everything back to its default, and you lose all your customized settings and bookmarks. This program will save you a lot of headache. It also works with Thunderbird, Firefox's mail client.

Fasterfox is also handy for improving the browser speed and performance. Before this extension came out, you had to manually tweak the settings yourself.
Old 02-19-07, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Eplicon
Although it's not an extension, I recommend that you get MozBackup. Firefox sometimes crashes and causes the browser to revert everything back to its default, and you lose all your customized settings and bookmarks. This program will save you a lot of headache. It also works with Thunderbird, Firefox's mail client.
I've been using Firefox a long time, and have never had anything like that happen.

And with the current version, if there is a crash, Firefox will restore your last session, including any and all tabs you had open, to the pages they were on.
Old 02-19-07, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fireftp is good...if you have to up/downoad stuff from ftp servers.

A third for Forecastfox
Old 02-19-07, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Seeker
sure - but every time I run into a site with an adblock problem, I have to add new exception rules - addins should not have to be tweaked every time you go to a new site... at least imho
That's because site owners are trying to make it difficult for users to use adblock. I don't blame them (they get revenue from the ads that are fetched). It's part of the tug of war.
Old 02-19-07, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
bbcode
session saver
down them all
video downloader
Old 02-19-07, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Does FireFox come with a built in session saver now? If not, get the SessionSaver extension as well. I couldn't be without it.
Old 02-19-07, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The current version of Firefox has a feature that allows you to startup with your last known session:

Tools>Options>Main

In "Startup": go to the option "When Firefox starts" and choose "Show my windows and tabs from last time."
Old 02-19-07, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Made the switch too from Netscape, which I had used for the past 2 years w/o incident on my desktop and laptop. All of sudden, both stated using 100% of CPU resources non-stop. Been w/ the Fox for 5 days now and no problems. I'll check out some of the add-ons mentioned. So far I use the download status bar add-on and a few themes (the IE 7 look-a-likeone is awesome).

One question, do add-ons affect performance?
Old 02-20-07, 09:39 AM

In short, yes, they can. Believe it depends on the extension and how well, or badly, it's made.
Old 02-20-07, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

dumb question...

where do i get extensions? FF site i assume...

are they easy to install?

EDIT: I answered both my questions by going to the FF site and searching and installing the extensions.

it was cake.

Last edited by SoSpacey; 02-20-07 at 10:09 AM.
Old 02-20-07, 10:53 AM

Yeah, simple.

Compare that to my memories of first going online with Netscape in the mid 1990s. I couldn't get anything to work. And then I found that blue "e" on the desktop... it was IE3, and wouldn't you know it, everything worked!
Old 02-22-07, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I really like Foxmarks. It allows you to synch/share your bookmarks on multiple pc's. Comes in handy if you regularly use a laptop and desktop as I do and want to have the same bookmarks on each. You can add a bookmark on your laptop and then it will also be there on your desktop.