Reload this Page >

iPod Question.

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

iPod Question.

Old 01-27-07, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
iPod Question.

Is there a way of adding music to my iPod without overwriting what's already on there?

I got the damn thing so I DIDN'T have to use my hardrive to save music. All I want to do, is rip a CD and add it to the iPod, then delete the CD from my hardrive, but I can't get around the "synch/overwrite" aspect of it. Is there anyway to just drag and drop the music?

Thanks.
Old 01-28-07, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://www.apple.com/support/ipod101/tunes/3/#3

You will still have to rip the CD and then trash the MP3s if you do this, but why would you delete your backup? If your iPod ever crashes and you lose everything, you will have to rerip every CD you want all over again.
Old 01-28-07, 11:13 AM
Stealth Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by MartinBlank
I got the damn thing so I DIDN'T have to use my hardrive to save music. All I want to do, is rip a CD and add it to the iPod, then delete the CD from my hardrive, but I can't get around the "synch/overwrite" aspect of it. Is there anyway to just drag and drop the music?
Almost all mp3 players have the "synch/overwrite" aspect to it. The general point of an mp3 player is to play the music in your HD on a portable device. Mostly for organization and copyright reasons. All advanced players (not just ipods but other manufacturers's players as well) require music in your HD when using the player's default software with default settings.

Last edited by namja; 01-28-07 at 09:18 PM.
Old 01-28-07, 11:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Go to your iPod's page in iTunes, check "Manually manage music and videos", and click Apply. Then you can drag-and-drop to your heart's content.

If that's not flexible enough, take a look at Wikipedia's list of third-party iPod managers. There's a lot of free options, and many of them let you do things iTunes alone won't allow (like copying music back from your iPod onto your hard drive).