Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Video iPod problems....please help.

Old 01-01-07, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Video iPod problems....please help.

Earlier today i attached my video ipod to my PC via a USB cable and was waiting for iTunes to load up. The computer was slow and i decided to forget it and shut down. I waited for ages to try and disconnect the iPod and eventually it did. But now, my iPod just has the "Do Not Disconnect" screen and i cannot shut it down. I intend to leave it alone and wait over night until it runs out of charge, and then try it. As none of the buttons respond on it at the moment thats all i feel i can do.

Can anyone suggest what might have happend, and also what i might be able to do if tomorrow it just appears with the "Do Not Disconnect" screen again? Is there any software that allows me to scan the iPod for viruses? I currently use Avast.

Any helps suggestions or advice are very much appreciated.
Old 01-01-07, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Turn the 'hold' switch on then off [so the red shows, then goes away].
Then hold Menu and Select for 5-10 seconds, this should 'reboot' it.

This has happened to me a couple times.
I don't know what happened, I just consider it a crash and reboot.
The ipod is basically a hard drive, I guess you could 'enable disk use', then browse to it in Windows Explorer and run a virus scan on it.
Old 01-01-07, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wow, I've never seen that problem before. Have you tried using the "restore" option in iTunes 7? If you're system will recognize it, that might be your best bet. I've never heard of viruses on an iPod, but I guess that couldn't be ruled out.

Good luck.

Same damn thing just happened to mine when I went to sync it up. I tried the menu/center button reset, and that got it going.

Last edited by reubs82; 01-01-07 at 03:55 PM.
Old 01-01-07, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well i have been playing with it seeing if i can get any more information. According to iTunes my iPod has become corrupted. Its suggests that i restore the iPod to its original settings and clear the thing. I have tried doing this....but it just seems to freeze. I think i am going to have to let the iPod run out of charge and see if i can do anything with it from there.

Any further suggestions or help would be apprciated. Cheers.
Old 01-01-07, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That's really odd....I got the exact same message when I tried to sync a couple hours ago.
I did the hold/reset thing and shut down itunes and rebooted my PC and everything is fine.
You know what? I'll bet it has something to do with the date 1/1/07 or the year changing.
I'd suggest hold/reset, reboot, then bring up itunes then plug in your ipod. That's what I did and mine is working fine now.
Old 01-01-07, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well its weird as i just tested my fathers iPod on the computer and it was fine. But when i plug in my iPod (which by the way is still with the "Do Not Disconnect" screen...but the screen is not blinking...and the time has stuck at 6:25pm) iTunes does not register my iPod. When i open "My Computer" the iPod is not recognized there. However i do get the small USB devide symbol in the bottom right hand part of the screen and i can safely disconnect it from here. Its really got me confused. I am going to leave the iPod now until morning. By then the power should have gone as the screen has the backlight on permanently with the stupid disconnect screen.

By the way, i tried doing all the Hold reset things....but the iPod does not do anything at all. Its locked up for some reason.
Old 01-04-07, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm wondering if either of you are still having these same problems. Every time I go to sync up my iPod it freezes. I have to reset it, and it works fine. However, resetting every time is a terrific pain.
Old 01-04-07, 11:34 PM

I'm having a similar problem. When I try to eject my Ipod through Itunes, when it's plugged in, it starts to, then the disconnect screen comes back up and a box pops up saying it can't be ejected because it contains files that are being used by another application? What does this mean? I have no other similar programs running.
Old 01-05-07, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hey benh911, do you sync with anything else? Outlook perhaps? I've had the same problem a couple of times and it was because of that. So I closed all my programs and was able to disconnect. I think the video ipod is touchy at times.

Hope this helps
Old 01-08-07, 12:16 AM

How would I be able to tell if it's synced with anything else. I was able to eject last time, because I noticed Quicktime was in my taskbar, and I closed it, and was able to eject. However, it's still having the same problem.