Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

ipod question

Old 12-30-06, 12:33 PM

ipod question

When I plug my ipod into my computer I can not transfer songs that are in my ipod to the library folder. I try to drag and drop but I get a circle with a line through it. Can anyone give me a suggestion as to how I can get songs from my ipod and into my library. My ipod is set to manual. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old 12-30-06, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't think Itunes supports copying music from your Ipod to your computer only from your computer to the Ipod.

To copy music from an Ipod to your computer you need 3rd party software, I have never used it but there is an article and software here: http://www.engadget.com/2004/11/02/h...off-your-ipod/
Old 12-30-06, 03:31 PM

Sorry, bad description of problem.. I am not trying to copy music.. I am trying to transfer music from the ipod mini back to my library in Itunes. I am not able to copy and paste any of the songs either. It appears that the song files are just locked in the ipod.. I hope this is a better description of problem
Old 12-30-06, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You described it fine, and the software Lateralus suggested will do what you want.

No one's iPod can transfer music from itself to iTunes, it was never designed that way. You need to use another program to do it.
Old 12-30-06, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by metman86
Sorry, bad description of problem.. I am not trying to copy music.. I am trying to transfer music from the ipod mini back to my library in Itunes. I am not able to copy and paste any of the songs either. It appears that the song files are just locked in the ipod.. I hope this is a better description of problem
When you synch songs from your computer to your iPod, you are copying these files -- not moving them. Therefore, there is no need to move the music "back". It never "left".

Old 12-30-06, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by metman86

I believe I get what you are saying...

You can't transfer (copy) music from an ipod to your Itunes libary, the software does not permit that, you need a third party software to do it for you.

About a year ago I lost my hard drive and all my mp3's and the only place I had them was on my Ipod. I could not transfer (copy) them down to my new computer I had to use 3rd party software.
Old 12-30-06, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by NCMojo
When you synch songs from your computer to your iPod, you are copying these files -- not moving them. Therefore, there is no need to move the music "back". It never "left".

Old 01-04-07, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There are plenty of programs that allow you to 'copy' the songs on your ipod to your computer, but apple does not provide them. Go to any CompUSA, Microcenter, Frys but not Best Buy (they have no apple-type programs). If you have a Mac you can load a program for free (in MacCentral under OSX under ipod). I would think that Cnet or Zdnet also have some type of download to copy off ipod for PC users.
Old 01-04-07, 06:51 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think i know what you're talking about because i'm pretty sure i do (or rather used to do) it myself:

I have some music on my computer in different places:
folder A - contains song 1, 2, 3
folder B - contains song 4, 5, 6
And then there's my ipod - contains song 7, 8, 9

I add all those songs to my library which is essentially a table of contents. So when, let's say, song 1 is reached, it plays from folder A, song 5 is reached it plays from folder B, and song 7 is reached, it plays directly from the ipod.

if that is correct i think you may need to uncheck a few more boxes in itunes. i only have v4 in front of me, so in v4 Preferences, under "Advanced" tab, there is an option for "Copy files to iTunes Music Folder when adding to library". I think you need to uncheck that and possibly also uncheck "Keep iTunes music folder organized".