Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Video card questions...

Old 12-29-06, 11:26 AM

Video card questions...

I have been using my integrated video that comes with my PC for a while now. It is a GeForce 6100 series with 256 MB of ram, so it ran WoW great for me. I got newer games recently that it won't run at all unless the settings are turned down, and even then they are all very choppy.

I bought new GeForce 7300 GT card and installed the drivers for it, and then installed the card. After I hooked my monitor up to the new card, I am not getting any picture at all on my monitor. If I hook the monitor back to the onboard video card, it works fine. I have rebooted the PC a few times. The fan on the card is running, but no picture. Since the fan is running, I tend to think the card is working. I have always had AGP cards in the past and this is if first PCI-Express card.

Do you guys think I have a bad card? Bad or out of date drivers on the installation disk? Is there something special that I need to do because it's PCI-E?
Old 12-29-06, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kdubby
I have been using my integrated video that comes with my PC for a while now. It is a GeForce 6100 series with 256 MB of ram, so it ran WoW great for me. I got newer games recently that it won't run at all unless the settings are turned down, and even then they are all very choppy.

I bought new GeForce 7300 GT card and installed the drivers for it, and then installed the card. After I hooked my monitor up to the new card, I am not getting any picture at all on my monitor. If I hook the monitor back to the onboard video card, it works fine. I have rebooted the PC a few times. The fan on the card is running, but no picture. Since the fan is running, I tend to think the card is working. I have always had AGP cards in the past and this is if first PCI-Express card.

Do you guys think I have a bad card? Bad or out of date drivers on the installation disk? Is there something special that I need to do because it's PCI-E?
Well several things are going on here. And I am confused about your description of "on board" video being a card

You first need to uninstall any video drivers that may be installed on the machine. Then you need to remove any other video card on the machine

Then if you are not using on board video you would need to go into your setup and disable the onboard video.

Then you need to install the new card and the new drivers for the new card.

Does your system take a PCI-E card? They are different from a PCI card. Also some bios settings are set for AGP to be the first video display to load, ie. primary since you can run with more than one video card in a machine.
Old 12-29-06, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Did you go into the BIOS and set Primary Video to PCI-E/disable onboard video? Usually that's auto detected, but it doesn't hurt to try. (You may have to reset the Bios to get onboard video back if it doesn't work). Also, does the card have a separate power connector that needs to be hooked up?

Also, it would be a good idea to install the drivers after you get the card up and running. Since it's a unified nVidia driver it probably just installed for the 6100 if the 7300 wasn't detected.
Old 12-29-06, 11:58 AM

I did not go into the BIOS at all. I was lazy about it and assumed it would find that itself. I will check that and uninstall the old drivers tonight.

Also, yes it is PCI-E. The AGP cards were for an old computer. When I said onboard, I was referring to the integrated one.

Thanks for the replies!