Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

IPod "Do Not Disconnect" Problem

Old 12-29-06, 03:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

IPod "Do Not Disconnect" Problem

I know this problem has probably been brought up before. The "Do not disconnect" message doesn't seem to go away every time I try to eject my Ipod from Itunes. I can update my Ipod with no trouble, but once I try to eject, I get an error message on my PC that says something along the lines of my Ipod cannot be ejected because it contains files being used in another application. Any idea what that means? The only way I can eject my Ipod is through the Safely Remove Hardware Icon.

This is a very annoying and frustrating problem. When I initially bought my Ipod this past summer, I never had this problem. But now whenever I want to download some new songs or transfer songs to my Ipod, this error message and the flashing "Do not disconnect" are always there.

Any suggestions?
Old 12-29-06, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Do you click "remove hardware" from your system tray by your clock? I usually click that too, to "safely remove hardware".
Old 12-29-06, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yes I do. It seems to be the only way to remove the Ipod safely. But, is there some kind of bug causing this problem?
Old 12-29-06, 01:07 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Have you downloaded the latest version of iTunes? When iTunes 7 first came out, it had many bugs (and I had this same problem, sometimes). They went through several revs in a short time, and lately I haven't had problems. I am on 7.0.2.16.

I have the first-gen nano.
Old 12-29-06, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Regardless of what the display reads, it's OK to disconnect the iPod as long as there's no data actually transferring at the time. So, if you've updated your songs, etc., and the transfer is complete, you can unplug the iPod.
Old 12-29-06, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just assumed this was one of the ways in which iTunes sucks... I've always had to use the "Safely Remove Hardware" tray icon to make "do not disconnect" message go away. iTunes has *never* ejected the iPod completely enough as far as Windows is concerned. Like others, tho, I've just ignored/not worried about it as long as there was no ongoing transfer.
Old 12-29-06, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

The thing I don't get is when I got my Ipod this summer, this message always went away after I synched it and then hit the eject in Itunes. It would say that it was "Ok to eject" Now that doesn't seem to happen anymore. Also, does anyone know what it means with files being used in another application on that error message I mentioned earlier?
Old 12-31-06, 04:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I remember mine doing that as well. Unfortunately, for you, I switched to automatic updating, which resolved the problem.