Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

iPod Album Art question?

Old 12-28-06, 02:01 AM

iPod Album Art question?

I just purchased my very first iPod yesterday. I was very excited to get it. I have over 5,000 songs so it took me a long to time convert all of my Windows Media files over to iTunes. When it finally completed the conversion, only a very small percentage of my music files contained album art. I re-ran the tool to get album art and noticed NO change.

Does anyone know if I am doing something wrong? Or if not all album art is available? I guess I have a hard time believing that the album art for Gwen Stefani's first CD is NOT available, but Thriller by Michael Jackson (a 1980's release) is.

Please help. I want to be able to get all of the album art for all of my music.

Thanks a ton!!!
Old 12-28-06, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Itunes Art Importer

Works much better than the integrated Itunes function, simply highlight an album in Itunes and press the search button on the art importer. It searches Amazon to download the art and it sometimes has problems with some albums (Greatest hits etc).

I have had issues with the Itunes art function, lots of times I get the wrong album cover and I just moved all my mp3's to a different computer and all the art covers that I got from Itunes did not convert over.
Old 12-28-06, 10:24 PM

Thanks a ton!!!! That helps out big time!!!!!!
Old 12-29-06, 03:35 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Awesome, I haven't done much art importing but may try to now.
Old 12-29-06, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Don't mean to sidetrack your thread cornbetts, but I asked this in the supposed "main" iPod thread and no one answered...

On my 60g iPod Photo (the last model before the video 'pods came out), when I use it to play music, i'm not seeing any artwork. However, when I play it through iTunes, the art is there. Why is that?
Old 12-30-06, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Rogue588
Don't mean to sidetrack your thread cornbetts, but I asked this in the supposed "main" iPod thread and no one answered...

On my 60g iPod Photo (the last model before the video 'pods came out), when I use it to play music, i'm not seeing any artwork. However, when I play it through iTunes, the art is there. Why is that?

When you plug your Ipod in it should pop up under the devices menu on the left hand side. Click on your device and then on the right click on the music tab. There should be a check box there that says Display album artwork on your Ipod... is that checked?
Old 12-30-06, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Yup. That's what's bothering me..
Old 12-30-06, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Being the perfectionist I am I ended up having to do most of the album art myself, since I was unhappy with the quality of the ones itunes was importing.

Question: Is there a way to see how many albums you have in your itunes library? Don't seem to see any options for it...

Last edited by Artman; 12-30-06 at 03:42 PM.
Old 12-30-06, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yup. That's what's bothering me..
Try using the art importer on an album and sync and see if the album art comes up, Itunes is very particular about art.
Old 12-31-06, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Artman
Question: Is there a way to see how many albums you have in your itunes library? Don't seem to see any options for it...
You can click the Browse button (eyeball) or select View-->Show Browser. At the top of each browse column you should see a total for that column. (Genre - optional in Prefs, Artists, Albums)
Old 01-03-07, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I had that problem. It seems the iPod doesn't re-sync files after album art changes. Since I don't have my full collection on my iPod, I simply removed the Playlists I was synching so the iPod was empty, then re-added them. After that, all the album art showed up.
Old 01-03-07, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Ugh. I don't want to go through taking off 14,000 songs and putting them back on again...and since the "display album artwork" box didn't work...
Old 01-04-07, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Kevin M. Dean
You can click the Browse button (eyeball) or select View-->Show Browser. At the top of each browse column you should see a total for that column. (Genre - optional in Prefs, Artists, Albums)
Thanks man! Wow, they add up after awhile...
Old 01-04-07, 04:52 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Sometimes it gets interrupted building the art list or something like that.

If you turn off show artwork on iPod and then turn it back on again, in iTunes, it should fix it with minimal effort.