Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Widescreen or 4/3 LCD

Old 12-27-06, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Widescreen or 4/3 LCD

Hello all

We hooked our new pc up and we received a dell 19 inch digital flat panel(had a scratch and going back tho) What would be the benefit to going to a widescreen lcd instead? Is the internet going to look stretched, how bout games?

Thanks
Old 12-27-06, 10:20 AM

A widescreen 19" was an option for me when I bought my computer. I stuck with the standard 17".

I looked at a 19" ws, and yes, the image looked stretch. I don't see an advantage to a widescreen for regular computing. Maybe if you're going to watch movies on it. But then, why watch movies on such a small screen???

Dunno if any games are native in ws or not.
Old 12-27-06, 10:21 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Altimus Prime
A widescreen 19" was an option for me when I bought my computer. I stuck with the standard 17".

I looked at a 19" ws, and yes, the image looked stretch. I don't see an advantage to a widescreen for regular computing. Maybe if you're going to watch movies on it. But then, why watch movies on such a small screen???

Dunno if any games are native in ws or not.
There are plenty of games that are natively in WS. Determine what you will use the computer for (movies/gaming, or regular computing), and go from there.
Old 12-27-06, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm extremely partial to standard ratio LCDs.

Although some games natively support WS ratios, many full screen games (NFS Carbon, as a most recent example) will refuse to do it without first downloading a 3rd party patch to hack the executable. The side effect is, as you noted, stretched figures.

The "internet", however, will scale properly provided that you correctly configure your Windows resolution, which should be pretty easy and universally supported. As will everything that runs within a window.

If you are really into photoshop, an IM fiend, or heavily use any appllication that loves to reside vertically on the side of your screen then perhaps the added width will outweigh the loss of height.
Old 12-27-06, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Once you go wide, you can't go back.
Old 12-27-06, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

As long as you're using a widescreen resolution all of your regular computing will look just fine. It also gives you more screen real estate to do things- I regularly have OpenOffice Writer and a browser open side by side, for instance.

As BigPete noted, some games will not scale properly. I have a 4:3 monitor also hooked up to deal with that, but for some people that's not an ideal solution.
Old 12-27-06, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Think I'll stay 4/3 thanks
Old 12-27-06, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Get a widescreen one simple as that, yes currently a few games aren't native widescreen but its called GAME FOR WINDOWS people , with M$ big push for new pc game format GAMES FOR WINDOWS all games will be required to be widescreen capable as well as have xbox360 control able.

Internet wise makes no diff, but the extra desktop space is really really nice as well.
Old 12-27-06, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

After I got my 24" widescreen Dell, I can never go back to 4:3. While you may have to get used to 1920x1200 resolution once you do, the real estate is just friggin' amazing. Opening two full word docs side by side, or not having the tool windows blocking your picture in Photoshop is something to behold.
Old 12-28-06, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Best use of a widescreen (that rotates):

Old 12-29-06, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by matome
or not having the tool windows blocking your picture in Photoshop is something to behold.

The sole reason I went widescreen. Photoshop & InDesign are much easier to work with.

Nothing is stretched if it's set up properly.