Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

iTunes question

Old 12-27-06, 09:51 AM
Mod Emeritus

iTunes question

I've now got my music listed in iTunes and copied everything to my iPod. My wife doesn't want everything though, so we're going to have to do some work to get the music transfered to hers. This brings up a couple of questions:

- Is there any easy way to send music to the iPod? Something like right clicking on the artist, album, song and a "send to iPod" would seem logical, but the only way I can find is by tediously building a playlist and using the sync option.

- Is there any way to change the view so that you don't see every song listed? It would be nice if there were a tree view with +/- to open and close by artist. things are pretty hard to find when you're looking at thousands of songs.
Old 12-27-06, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you enable disk mode you can drag and drop exactly what you want onto the Pod, also, you can use the search (top right) if you know approximately what you are looking for. Furthermore, if you are anal like I am, you have given genres to everything, you can sort by genre to speed up the process as well.
Old 12-27-06, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

And, with the iPod connected, check the box that says 'manually download from iTunes' or something to that effect.
Old 12-27-06, 04:31 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by Decadance
If you enable disk mode you can drag and drop exactly what you want onto the Pod ...
Can you do that? I was under the impression that stuff you dropped on the iPod was all treated as just files, not music you could play. Or maybe I'm not understanding where you're doing this. Are you in iTunes or Windows Explorer?
Old 12-27-06, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You don't need to enable disc mode to transfer songs to the iPod. Just set the iPod to update manually, then highlight songs in your iTunes library and drag them over to the iPod.

In your library, you can highlight more than one song by holding down Ctrl and clicking on the songs you want. You can highlight a group of songs (like all the songs on an album), by highlighting the first song, holding down Shift, then highlighting the last song. Everything in between will be highlighted. Then just drag to the iPod.