Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

digital camera memory

Old 12-26-06, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

digital camera memory

I heard that if you use large memory with SD cards, (1 Gig or higher), the camera becomes slow. Is this true?

Someone recommended that if you want to use heavy capacity memory cards, compact flash cards are the way to go. Are there any compact, sub-compact cameras that uses compact flash, or are they only for DSLR?
Old 12-26-06, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

don't listen to people
Old 12-26-06, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

SD cards do come in different speeds, I have and will always suggest buying the fastest card you can afford.
Old 12-26-06, 08:10 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I checked the Sandisk specs for heir memory cards, for the Ultra II type (lowest grade for which they list speed specs - They also have Extreme III and Extreme IV). The specs are the same for 1 GB, 2 GB and 4 GB, and for CF, SD and Memory Stick.

My old Canon compact (A70) used CF but the new sub-compact uses SD. Makes sense. The SD card is a lot smaller. I wonder why DSLRs don't switch from CF to SD, even if small size is not one of the highest priorities as in a sub-compact.
Old 12-26-06, 08:12 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by kuroiinu
I wonder why DSLRs don't switch from CF to SD, even if small size is not one of the highest priorities as in a sub-compact.
Nikon DSLRs have used SD for awhile.
Old 12-26-06, 08:26 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You are right. I should have said that I wonder why ALL DSLRs that still use CF don't switch to SD. The Nikon D70 and D200 still use CF.
Old 12-26-06, 08:29 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by kuroiinu
You are right. I should have said that I wonder why ALL DSLRs that still use CF don't switch to SD. The Nikon D70 and D200 still use CF.
Yep, no clue why they went back to it.
Old 12-26-06, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Some of the DSLRs uses SD memory. Also, it is true that larger capacity memory card are a bit slower than the smaller capacity one but I doubt you will ever notice the difference in the real world.

Here is great website to checkout benchmark of CF/SD memory cards used in DSLRs and computer.
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...e.asp?cid=6007
Old 12-27-06, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

thanks for the info.
So i take it you can't go wrong with a camera that uses SD cards?

Also, some cards (i.e. scandisk) don't list their speed. Can you assume they are crappy (i.e. slow cards)?
Old 12-27-06, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

SD is faster than CF. I wouldn't be suprise when most of the camera companies switch completely over to SD from CF.

Sandisk regular is the slow piece of crap. The Sandisk Ultra, Ultra II, Extreme I, II, III, IV are very fast memory card. You really need to study the link I gave to get a hint of who is bullshitting and who is not with their listed speed.
Old 12-27-06, 11:28 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

As zuffy said, I wouldn't buy the regular, unrated type. As far as I know, the grades that Sandisk sells today are regular, Ultra II, Extreme III and Extreme IV, and that goes for all their memory types. I think Sandisk rates their stuff more conservatively than other brands, so I don't compare speed ratings from one brand to ratings by another brand.
Old 12-29-06, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

what abut SDHC cards?
If your camera can use SD cards, will it be able to use SDHC cards?
Old 12-29-06, 11:21 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by timewaster
what abut SDHC cards?
If your camera can use SD cards, will it be able to use SDHC cards?
Sometimes. SDHC is a realively new format for high capacity, typically 4 GB or higher (if you don't know, it stands for SD High Capacity ). Many of the newer devices that accept SD will also accept SDHC, but the older ones don't. You have to check the manual.
Old 12-29-06, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Some cards have different speeds for reading and writing.
I'm guessing that read speed affects how fast you upload the pics to your PC and the speed of scrolling thru the pics in the camera.
The write speed will affect how fast you can take a picture.
Is this a correct assumption?
I'm guessing the write speed is the more important spec?
Old 12-29-06, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I think Sony's memory sticks have three speeds: standard, Pro and some brand new one with even faster transfer speeds. Of course you pay for each upgrade, though it will definitely help if you're taking quick pictures at 10MP in succession.
Old 12-29-06, 02:25 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Some cards have different speeds for reading and writing.
I'm guessing that read speed affects how fast you upload the pics to your PC and the speed of scrolling thru the pics in the camera.
The write speed will affect how fast you can take a picture.
Is this a correct assumption?
I'm guessing the write speed is the more important spec?
You got the basic idea, although I should say that cards have different speeds for read and write (read slightly faster) because of the way the memory works, not because of which one is more important.

For cameras, write speed is perhaps more important, although I suppose there are other devices (for example I'd guess if they want to get video on an iPod nano type) where you write infrequently but read more often, so you'd care about read speed. One other thing is that many cameras have a memory buffer, so you first write into the buffer and you see a delay only after you overflow the buffer. I'd be more afraid of a video situation where you are writing continuously for a long time, rather than a still shot case where typically you write and stop (I can't imagine taking 5-10 shots consecutively).

Regardless, I'd buy only from a reputable brand, like Sandisk, and only their speed-rated products like the Ultra II and up. It's just me, but I don't want to buy stuff without written specs, and memory is so cheap nowadays there is no need to take chances with losing important pictures and memories. If you catch a good sale, you can get 1 GB for $20-30, and that's 300-500 pictures easily, and you can erase the ones you don't want to keep. I am so bad that I usually don't have 300 good pictures I want to keep

Last edited by Psi; 12-29-06 at 03:59 PM.
Old 12-29-06, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I heard that if you use large memory with SD cards, (1 Gig or higher), the camera becomes slow. Is this true?

Someone recommended that if you want to use heavy capacity memory cards, compact flash cards are the way to go. Are there any compact, sub-compact cameras that uses compact flash, or are they only for DSLR?
Well, you heard wrong. SD cards are inherently faster by their design. I would view the link Zuffy presented, but do remember the write speeds of these cards only matter when you put the cards in a media reader which can support the speeds. Digital cameras still have a slow transfer speed.

SD will eventually be on all digital cameras because of the smaller form factor and the need for larger LCD screens and more expansive features on the camera itself which require more space within the camera.