Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Question about SD cards/camcorders

Old 12-25-06, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Question about SD cards/camcorders

I received a digital camcorder for Christmas, along with a 128MB SD card. How much video will the SD card hold?
Old 12-25-06, 10:34 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

what model is the camcorder? my guess is the sd card is only for pictures. i'm a little behind on my camcorder info but i don't remember any models recording video to the card.
Old 12-25-06, 10:40 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by abrg923
I received a digital camcorder for Christmas, along with a 128MB SD card. How much video will the SD card hold?
Yeah, 128MB won't get you much even for pictures, let alone video.

Your camcorder most likely has some DV-Tape/DVD-R mini disc/DVD-Ram or some type of other media for the video.

Agree with posting the model to get better help.
Old 12-25-06, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, it does use Mini-DV tapes...problem is, they're only an hour long. Granted, I know an SD card wouldn't get me more than that...but by knowing what a 128MB would record, I could get an idea of how big of an SD card I need to buy.

The SD card is actually from our digital camera, and we've used it to record short videos (40-60 seconds) in the past...so I assumed the camcorder would also record video to it. It's a JVC GR-D370.
Old 12-25-06, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

And here's another question. I have the camcorder hooked up via USB to the computer right now, but there's no sort of option to transfer my video on the Mini-DV tape to the PC. How would I do this?
Old 12-25-06, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, it does use Mini-DV tapes...problem is, they're only an hour long. Granted, I know an SD card wouldn't get me more than that...but by knowing what a 128MB would record, I could get an idea of how big of an SD card I need to buy.

The SD card is actually from our digital camera, and we've used it to record short videos (40-60 seconds) in the past...so I assumed the camcorder would also record video to it. It's a JVC GR-D370.
I have a similar model JVC and the SD card only holds still shots. There is a button to record a still

And here's another question. I have the camcorder hooked up via USB to the computer right now, but there's no sort of option to transfer my video on the Mini-DV tape to the PC. How would I do this?
you need a firewire cable. The camcorder takes a 4 pin (the small one) and if you have a firewire port it may be 4 pin (small) or 6 pin (bigger, about the size of usb, shaped kinda hexagoish on one side). If you dont have a firewire port, you will need a pci card for a desktop or a pcmica or expresscard (depending on which one you have) on a laptop. Most every thing is pcmica except for newer laptops made in the last year or so. I know my dell e1505 is expresscard. I dont know about other manufacturers.
Old 12-25-06, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by uli2000
I have a similar model JVC and the SD card only holds still shots. There is a button to record a still

you need a firewire cable. The camcorder takes a 4 pin (the small one) and if you have a firewire port it may be 4 pin (small) or 6 pin (bigger, about the size of usb, shaped kinda hexagoish on one side). If you dont have a firewire port, you will need a pci card for a desktop or a pcmica or expresscard (depending on which one you have) on a laptop. Most every thing is pcmica except for newer laptops made in the last year or so. I know my dell e1505 is expresscard. I dont know about other manufacturers.
Ugh...that's very, VERY disappointing. My PC doesn't have a firewire port...I've never needed one before (hell, I don't even know what it looks like)...surprised that it won't work via USB.

I may just take the camcorder back, in all honesty...the primary reason I wanted it was to be able to put all of my videos onto my computer. Never thought in a million years my PC wouldn't be able to do that.

EDIT: Maybe I won't, actually....is this all I need?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...ormat=2&style=

Last edited by argh923; 12-25-06 at 11:48 PM.
Old 12-26-06, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

yep. thats a perfect little kit at a excellent price. Most people on ebay charge more for shipping a firewire card alone than that kit costs. Though I cant speak for the software. Ive used the one that comes in nero suite a couple of times and its been ok. But the better the results you want, the more the softwares gonna cost.
Old 12-26-06, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by uli2000
yep. thats a perfect little kit at a excellent price. Most people on ebay charge more for shipping a firewire card alone than that kit costs. Though I cant speak for the software. Ive used the one that comes in nero suite a couple of times and its been ok. But the better the results you want, the more the softwares gonna cost.
True. For now, I'm content with just having the ability to transfer, and will worry about the bells & whistles later.

Thanks for the help! Going to order this tomorrow.