Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

More on DSL Vs. Cable re: VPN connections

Old 12-25-06, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

More on DSL Vs. Cable re: VPN connections

So as my prior thread indicated, I'm debating about whether I should get DSL from AT&T or cable modem from comcast for my new house. I occasionally work from home and my work laptop has a Cisco VPN client that I use to connect to my office servers etc. The DSL plan i was considering is 1.5-3.0mb down and 512-768 up. My current cable connection in my apartment (different cable carrier than at the house) is reporting 4mb down and 1.6 up. I'm not sure if it's the wireless connection that I use with my laptop that causes it but it seems that the VPN is a bit slow even with the bandwidth I have now. If it truly is the bandwidth that is causing the slowness, I think I'll definitely go with cable. The only reason I was looking at DSL instead of cable was to potentially save about $20 a month but if i end up having to go for a more expensive plan thus reducing my savings and am still slower than Comcast would be it won't seem worth it. So, has anyone had any experience with VPN connections and DSL speeds similar to those I posted above? Any feedback is appreciated.
Old 12-25-06, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Part of my job is setting up people working from home through a VPN connection. We send a lot of data back and forth and have yet to have an issue with anyone using either DSL or Cable. Only people using a satellite internet connection have given us major problems. I use DSL myself and have never had an issue with Cisco VPN. I have the 3mbps plan, but even when I used the 1.5 plan I never experienced any slowdown over the VPN.
Old 12-26-06, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

thanks for the info, sounds like perhaps the speed issues i am experiencing with my VPN link are more the fault of my wireless connection than the speed of my internet connection.
Old 12-26-06, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

well the decision was made for me, I can't get DSL at my house but I can get cable so cable it is.
Old 12-26-06, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well there ya go.

Just FYI for anyone else reading this thread, my fiancee works for Mabell and has to VPN into work, sometimes. Beings she works for Mabell, we made sure we lived somewhere we could get DSL since, well, it's free. At any rate, the only time she ever has problems with the connection is when I'm on my computer downloading large files. (Usually bittorrent) Other than that, it works just like it does when she's at the office.

I've also found that the VPN, especially for remote admin stuff, can be largely dependent on the work end. My fiancee's is blazing fast (shocking, right?) while my mom, who uses the exact same software to do work from home for one of the largest Texas law firms, is always complaining about how SLOW it is, especially on holidays when lots of people are connecting.
Old 12-27-06, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by shaun3000
I've also found that the VPN, especially for remote admin stuff, can be largely dependent on the work end.
I can confirm this as well. There is usually a limit for how many connections you can have to the server. We have had issues with speed when our capacity is near the limit.