Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Approaching Vista

Old 12-25-06, 06:18 PM

Approaching Vista

So, we're about a month away from the launch of Vista, unless it gets changed again.

Having bought a new PC recently, I've already applied for my free "upgrade" kit from HP, which includes Home Premium and driver updates, both on DVD.

Not sure I'll be in much of a hurry to install it, however. I'll definitely want to watch for the reviews and comments to come in and see how it goes. I wonder when we'll start seeing those? I had been hoping to see reaction after the business release, but didn't see much, and what I saw didn't help me any.

Also a factor for me is that I've never changed an OS on a PC before. My last two had W95 and W98, and I never replaced them with newer versions.
Old 12-25-06, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As a Mac user, Vista obviously doesn't affect me directly but I was one of the early adopters of OS X (I installed 10.0 as my primary OS and had OS 9 on a seperate partition for stuff I couldn't do in X right away). Sure it was slow and lacked some features but it was very exciting to be using the future OS. Now going on 6 years later it's hard to believe that OS X was ever so slow and lacking such obvious features. I say give it a go, but perhaps do a seperate partition or a format (backing up files first of course) and install of Vista if possible. In the Mac world and the PC world sometimes alot of probelms can be avoided by installing the OS on a fresh drive.
Old 12-25-06, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I say don't install it until

1. you are 100% sure all your hardware has SOLID drivers (not flakey beta ones)

2. Service Pack 1 is released and beta tested by millions of others for about a month before you install it

anything short of those two and you are putting yourself through a lab experiment that MS controls and you perform in free of charge
Old 12-25-06, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I would wait at least 2 months after the release to make sure everybody has updated their software and drivers for Vista. I installed the business release serveral times and while everything does load lots of programs do not work, I even had a tough time finding a DVD player for Vista.

And yes SOLID drivers are a MUST!
Old 12-25-06, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

In Vista's case I would add:

3. Wait a year or so until developers have written around Vista's UAP and other security features, or turn off UAP.

Vista has the largest program compatibility issues since the move to Win95. Right now a lot of programs won't install or won't run unless you give them special permissions or hack around a bit. Once programs are written with Vista's security model in mind it will make things go a lot smoother.
Old 12-25-06, 07:31 PM

I wonder if the driver DVD HP will be sending along with Vista will make it easier for me. ??
Old 12-25-06, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I wouldn't think installing the 32bit version. And even with the 64bit I would probably wait until all the driver and software conflicts have been worked out.
Old 12-25-06, 10:04 PM

32 bit/64 bit... will both versions come together? I should be getting Home Premium. And is 64 bit only for 64 bit processors, like my Athlon X2?

Step back, sit down and watch someone else touch the live wire... seems to be the approach I'll take. Heck, I've only been using XP at home for a month!
Old 12-25-06, 11:26 PM
Banned

i'm awaiting to see how vista works with gaming, or any other power-consuming task. the OS scans the computer every thirty seconds to make sure there are no digital signals being sent or recieved, other than the approved. this, of course, will require quite a good bit of memory. add in a game like crysis..not looking so good.
Old 12-26-06, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Both versions are included and covered by a single license so you can install 32bit now and switch when more drivers come out for 64bit. I don't know, but I would assume a fresh install is required.