Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

XBOX Wireless

Old 12-22-06, 02:30 PM

XBOX Wireless adapter Help. Experts Needed

I currently own an XBOX and am on LIVE using a wireless gaming adapter. Will that same gaming adapter be able to be used with the 360 or do I have to buy another one. I have a broadband connection but I still get complaints about lagging even though the games look like they are playing fine to me. The reason I went wireless is because my Modem is up stairs and I would have to run a cable about 50' outside and drill a couple of holes. Wifey doesnt like that! Can someone offer a better set up solution for me so i can tie direct into my XBOX downstairs and still be hooked up wireless to my computers. Heres my current situation.

Upstairs Bedroom
Cable for Internet comes through wall in Bedroom
Modem
Router
Printer (Hooked up to the router)
Computer 1- (Wireless Network)
TV (Direct TV)

Downstairs
TV (Direct TV)
Surround System
Wireless Gaming Adapter
XBOX
Computer 2 (Wireless Network)

Last edited by blaineo; 12-23-06 at 07:31 AM. Reason: Getting more to the point
Old 12-23-06, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What's your ISP's upload speeds? The bottleneck certainly wouldn't be the wireless connection, since even the old B system transmits at speeds of 11mbps, much faster than 95% of non-FIOS cable/DSL internet connections, and way more than is necessary for lag-free gaming.
Old 12-23-06, 10:52 AM

Your old XBOX adapter will work on the 360. It just isn't as "pretty" as the new one.

I'm using the old one and have no issues with lag at all.
Old 12-23-06, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I ended up getting an Xbox Wireless adaptor for free because the person bought a new one for her 360. She had no idea the old one worked on the 360 as well, but her loss way my gain.
Old 12-23-06, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by matome
What's your ISP's upload speeds? The bottleneck certainly wouldn't be the wireless connection, since even the old B system transmits at speeds of 11mbps, much faster than 95% of non-FIOS cable/DSL internet connections, and way more than is necessary for lag-free gaming.
54Mbps
Old 12-23-06, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm assuming you're referring to the top throughput speed of your router, 54mbps (Wireless G), since I don't think anyone is close to even download speeds at that rate, much less upload. I have a sucky 768k/128k up-down DSL connection and it causes lag problems for others when I'm online.
Old 12-23-06, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by blaineo
54Mbps

But most wireless connections never get anywhere near the rated speeds even on the local LAN due to overhead/collisions/signal loss, etc...

in any case, I wouldn't think its your LAN causing the lag... it would more likely be your ISP connection speed. Try checking your upload and download speeds at

http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

Do you have a DSL or cable connection?

But just in case, even if your router is a G, if you have anything connecting to it at B speeds, some routers then step everything down to B speeds. So eliminate anything connected wireless that's a B access point.
Old 12-24-06, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by sniper308
But most wireless connections never get anywhere near the rated speeds even on the local LAN due to overhead/collisions/signal loss, etc...

in any case, I wouldn't think its your LAN causing the lag... it would more likely be your ISP connection speed. Try checking your upload and download speeds at

http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

Do you have a DSL or cable connection?

But just in case, even if your router is a G, if you have anything connecting to it at B speeds, some routers then step everything down to B speeds. So eliminate anything connected wireless that's a B access point.
Last Result:
Download Speed: 4937 kbps (617.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 1522 kbps (190.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

I have a Cable Connection

Everything is Wireless G
Old 12-24-06, 08:10 PM

With wireless, there is going to be an extra hop, as opposed to wired.
There WILL be a slight delay.
Old 12-26-06, 12:54 PM

Thanks for the responses guys
Old 12-26-06, 01:22 PM
Suspended

depending how far away you are (downstairs) from the router, you may not have a strong enough signal. You can buy a repeater to boost your wireless signal.
Old 12-26-06, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by gimmepilotwings
depending how far away you are (downstairs) from the router, you may not have a strong enough signal. You can buy a repeater to boost your wireless signal.
How much does a repeater cost?
Old 12-26-06, 02:02 PM
Suspended

anywhere from $20 to $200 or more.
Old 12-26-06, 02:04 PM
Suspended

Tips on wireless performance.

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/more...elesstips.mspx

Some repeaters, (won't vouch for the quality)
http://www.shentech.com/wlanref.html

This one is pretty popular though.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Airlink-101-Wire...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 12-28-06, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by gimmepilotwings
Tips on wireless performance.

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/more...elesstips.mspx

Some repeaters, (won't vouch for the quality)
http://www.shentech.com/wlanref.html

This one is pretty popular though.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Airlink-101-Wire...QQcmdZViewItem
WOW! I repositioned my router and what a differrence. Can anyone tell me how to look at my latency and ping data on my xbox and what kind of signals I should be looking for?
Old 12-29-06, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I recently just went wireless. Now my roommates x-box will not connect to our modem. Do you I have to buy an adapter? He usually hooks it through the Ethernet connect.
Old 12-29-06, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

n/m I guess it works now.
Old 01-23-07, 04:19 PM

I wanted the xbox 360 in a different room to my PC, but didn't want to pay the 80 MS wanted for the adapter.

It seems an ordinary wireless USB adapter (around 20) won't work on the xbox 'cause you can't load the drivers needed onto the machine.

I already have a wireless router (for a wireless connection for our laptop), so I bought a longer DSL cable (only 4 for 20metres) and put the router next to the xbox, upstairs, and connected it with the ethernet cable that came with the router. Both desktop and laptop are now wireless. Cost: ~10 for a wireless card for the desktop + 4 for the DSL extension cable. It works.

If I have a problem with the wireless connection I may not be able to access the router from the PCs, but I guess I can just unplug the ethernet cable from the xbox and plug it into the laptop and access the router that way. This will work won't it?

Last edited by imperator505; 01-23-07 at 04:23 PM.
Old 01-23-07, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by imperator505
If I have a problem with the wireless connection I may not be able to access the router from the PCs, but I guess I can just unplug the ethernet cable from the xbox and plug it into the laptop and access the router that way. This will work won't it?
yes
Old 01-26-07, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you get something like this.
http://www.airlink101.com/products/ap411w.html
You can plug it into a hub or switch and then plug your non wireless devices into the hub or switch and they can all share the wireless network.
Also if you live in an apartment building or have lots of neighbors close by that are wireless I would recommend that you change the wireless channel your router is broadcasting on. By default they are all set to 6.