Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Firefox Issues

Old 12-22-06, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Firefox Issues

Last nite Firefox asked me to update, and ever since I've had some annoying issues I can't seem to resolve through the options or tools. Every few minutes it says a password module should be installed because firefox 2 has been detected ive tried accepting and declining, restarting, etc and it wont go away, it just keeps popping up every few mins, also every time I close the browser the delete personal history boxpops up and I cant seem to disable it?

Help!!
lol
Thanks
Old 12-22-06, 11:02 AM

Just to chime in, I got the 2.0.0.1 update too, and haven't seen anything like that.
Old 12-23-06, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've been noticing high CPU and slow running since the upgrade.
Old 12-26-06, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bronkster
I've been noticing high CPU and slow running since the upgrade.
Seconded.
Old 12-26-06, 05:27 PM

I haven't noticed any superficial changes in Firefox performance since the last update. But I haven't looked as deeply to check cpu usage.

Just last night I went and put Opera on my new computer. Had it on my old one, but never used it much. Opera seems to work well and fast, but there's something about the "feel" of it that keeps me from making it my primary browser.

Heck, it could be just the appearance. Or that the Forecastfox for Firefox is my favorite extension; I love having the weather info at hand like that. I tried an Opera weather widget, but it wouldn't work, and it's not as good even if it did function.

I don't want to keep going back and forth between browsers. I want to use one and stick with it. I know it's not IE7, except for Windows updates. But how to choose between Firefox and Opera... ???
Old 01-06-07, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Altimus Prime
....the Forecastfox for Firefox is my favorite extension; I love having the weather info at hand like that.
It appears that Forecastfox is causing problems for some users (me being one of them). I'm not real techie so please forgive my simplistic comments on this - in regards to the CPU slow downs and memory leaks that some people experience, I found a forum site (forums.mozillazine.org) that points to Forecastfox being a probable culprit. I have disabled it and have experienced normal usage on my system again. Before that, I was having to clear out cache and cookies and restart Firefox to get things running at normal speed.

If you've been experiencing a slowdown of your system since upgrading to 2.0.0.1, I would recommend disabling Forecastfox (assuming you're using it). Like Altimus Prime, I also liked having the handiness of it being right there, but I also like my bananas to dance. Hope this helps a few people!
Old 01-06-07, 01:46 PM
DAC
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Where did the red x that was off to the right of the tabs go? You could close the current open tab with that one, now it's gone and you have to press the x on the tab you want closed. I keep finding myself closing a tab I don't want closed.
Old 01-06-07, 04:53 PM

Regarding the tabs, that was part of the changes in FF 2. The close "X" now appears on each individual tab instead of at the right side of the screen. I got used to it.

Still using Forecastfox. I see dancing bananas. I don't really see any problems to speak of with my Firefox performance.
Old 01-06-07, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Altimus Prime
Still using Forecastfox. I see dancing bananas. I don't really see any problems to speak of with my Firefox performance.
From what I've read, the problem doesn't seem to affect enough people to be worth addressing. I guess my system is one of the few that gets to enjoy the problem. At least the "fix" of disabling Forecaster works, and I'll just look out the window to see what the weather is.