Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Transflash card will not format on PC help

Old 12-21-06, 06:07 AM

Transflash card will not format on PC help

I bought a 1 GB transflash for my RAZR phone as the 256 wasn't cutting it anymore. Well I put it in the phone and it seemed ok, I then decided to put some of my MP3 ringtones on it.
When I put it in the adapter card and in the slot on my notebook I let XP find it then tried to drag and drop like I could with the old card it din't work. It said something about formatting the card which I try but it won't do. The lock switch on the adapter card is off, I tried to do it with it in lock and off still won't format.
I put it back in the phone and done the format part on the phone and moved mp3 and pics kept into the phones memory to the card. I then put it back in to the PC to see if it would work and still says I need to format the card. any ideas what to do I can't exchange it as that was the last one and it doesn't seem defective. On a side note the RAZR has a mini USB plug put i've not figured out how to get the PC to recognize the phone so I could drag-drop stuff that way.
Old 12-21-06, 09:17 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have a LG CU500 phone and it has the same problem with some brands of memory cards. I had problems with Kingston and another no-name brand (forgot which). Sandisk seems to work fine -- just install and use, I didn't have to format on the phone or the PC.

As for the USB port, you can get a USB cable (make sure it's the right one, best if you get it from the carrier) and connect it to the USB port on the PC. It shows up as a removable disk, and you can drag and drop as usual.
Old 12-22-06, 06:02 AM

I tried 3 different cables, none lets the PC look at it as a removable disk just a USB modem. I can look at the disk in the adapter in the built in card reader of the notebook, still can't access it, but under properties it's formated to RAW and the 256 MB I have is FAT. I guess that's the problem but I can't figure out how to switch unless I can try an extrernal reader and see if that works if not any ideas short of waiting to exchange it?
Old 12-22-06, 10:27 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I bought a USB cable online (cheap!) and couldn't get it to work, even after downloading the driver and trying different computers. Then I got a cable (from Cingular in my case) and it worked fine out of the box.

You might want to post your question over at http://www.howardforums.com/. The RAZR is a popular phone and I would think many people have seen the problem you are having. Good luck.