Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Need laptop advice...and should I buy now or after Xmas?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 12-19-06, 07:56 AM

Hey all, I need to buy a laptop pretty soon, I've been looking at a few Sonys, HP's and Toshiba's in the $1200 range. My question is, do you think it's a better idea to get one ASAP, or do these big discounts usually carry over into the new year?

Also, does anyone recommend any model in particular in that range? I'm looking for something smaller/lighter than average (12-14", under 6lbs), 1-2gig ram, 120+gig hard drive, DL DVD-burner. I've seen several with those specs, just not sure if it becomes a matter of brand preference since they all seem pretty similar. thanks.
Old 12-19-06, 09:37 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Unlike some other merchandise, computers only get cheaper the longer you wait. Don't get one until you need it, or really really want it

The thing to keep in mind is that Vista is coming out early next year so if you wait, you can get it bundled with the computer. Otherwise you'd have to upgrade, and that's not exactly cheap. Even if you go the Mac route, there's also a Leopard OS upgrade.
Old 12-19-06, 11:28 AM

I've actually heard that there's a lot of kinks in Vista right now. It also seems like a lot of dealers are including a coupon for a free Vista upgrade when it comes out. But I suppose your advice has held true over time, they just get cheaper no matter what.