Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

iTunes--HELP!!!!!!!

Old 12-18-06, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
iTunes--HELP!!!!!!!

My wife got me a 30GB video ipod for Xmas (early). I went to the itunes page which also brings up my 1,000 or so mp3's that are stored on my PC. How in the hell do I get selected songs onto my ipod? Everything I try starts loading ALL of the mp3's onto my ipod and there are tons that I don't want on there. I also tried getting a few video clips on my ipod, but it starts transferring all of the songs first. I checked out the help menu, but no avail. Can someone give me a step-bystep on how to transfer stuff from my PC to my ipod??

Greatly appreciated.

S2
Old 12-18-06, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

"Playlists" are your friends.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=304708
Old 12-18-06, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was actually on that page. After sitting here watching an hour long sync, I turn my ipod on and there's nothing on there. It was supposed to be 450+ songs, but nothing. The window says "Updating Ipod", then "Update Complete", but nothing is on my Ipod????
Old 12-18-06, 07:17 PM

I bet you have your ipod set to Manually upload the songs. The updating ipod dialog comes up regardless of the setting because it is checking the ipod software. Try dragging a song from your library to the ipod.

One question...when it is updating do you actually see the songs it is "updating"? If not...then it isn't transferring anything to the ipod.

Last edited by pdutta2000; 12-18-06 at 07:34 PM.
Old 12-18-06, 08:42 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

By default, Itunes is a large pain in the ass if you let it do everything automatically. The process is quite easy once you bitch slap it and have it quit making everything more complicated.

First, go into the options and select manual updating.

Then, use windows explorer to drag and drop the desired mp3's into the "library" window in Itunes. From here, you can edit the tracks' properties (artist, album, etc). The properties you enter are what the Ipod uses to sort your music.

When you plug in the Ipod, it shows up on the left side of Itunes. Simply drag and drop the files from the "library" window onto the Ipod icon on the left. When you do so, the files will be copied, and you can see the update status on the bar at the top.

Hope this works, let me know if you have any problems.
jon
Old 12-19-06, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

pdutta-I saw the songs updating. I was watching them count down, but then nothing on the iPod. I tried the whole shi-bang again and they did transfer the second time.

subzeri-Thanks for the tips. I will try this method the next time I add songs.

I do have another question/problem. Itunes cannot 'find' any pics on my computer. I changed the folder to where I have my photos and it still recognized zero photos. I made sure my pics were jpegs and the folder locale was accurate, but still nothing...any suggestions??

Thanks,

~S2
Old 12-19-06, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

OK, new problem(s). When I went to add a song to my iPod, it erased the 549 that I had on there to put one new one on it, UGH!!! I think it happened when I switched from auto to manual. How do I keep the songs I have on there while adding new ones to it??

Also, it won't transfer video clips. I tried doing the auto sync, and the manual...both nothing..??..

I did manage to get some pics on there, but they would only come from my 'sample' pictures folder. How do I delete items from my iPod, without erasing everything??

Wow, this thing is giving me a headache.
Old 12-22-06, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Since this is a recent Itunes thread I'll ask my own question...

I'm currently importing my 250+ albums into Itunes and will finish in a wk or so... Now I also have a few hundred soundtracks I will eventually want to import - but I'd prefer they not be mixed in with the regular artist albums... is there a way to do that? Or will I have to resort to naming the artist "soundtrack" so they are all at least in one spot?
Old 12-22-06, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Artman
Since this is a recent Itunes thread I'll ask my own question...

I'm currently importing my 250+ albums into Itunes and will finish in a wk or so... Now I also have a few hundred soundtracks I will eventually want to import - but I'd prefer they not be mixed in with the regular artist albums... is there a way to do that? Or will I have to resort to naming the artist "soundtrack" so they are all at least in one spot?
When you import them, make sure the compilation button is set to yes. It will put all of the albums in a separate place marked compilations.
Old 12-22-06, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You can also make sure they are tagged with "Soundtrack" for the Genre, and then sort by genre. If you want them completely separate from your regular artist albums, you'll need to use a new iTunes Library. Just do a Google search for something like iTunes multiple libraries. iTunes 7 has some limited built-in support for multiple libraries, and there are 3rd party tools also that make it easier.
Old 12-22-06, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
WOW...it sure does sound easier than drag-and-drop
Old 12-23-06, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks for the info guys... leaning towards the seperate library method.

Last edited by Artman; 12-24-06 at 04:49 PM.
Old 12-24-06, 03:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Steve2000, your problem was with changing to manual. Pick one or the other. If you want manual, drag and drop all of the songs you want onto your ipod. If you want itunes to handle everything, and I recommend this, use playlists.

I did everything manually for about a year, and got fed up with it. I'm much happier after switching to automatic, and becoming creative with my playlists.
Old 01-13-07, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I do everything automatic.

Don't want a song sync'd to the iPod? Just remove the checkmark next to it in iTunes.
Old 01-13-07, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone know why ipods have a separate menu for podcasts yet when you download them, no matter what you do with the tags, they are thrown in with the music and podcasts menu stays empty.

Bugs the hell out of me.
Old 01-13-07, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bballing
Anyone know why ipods have a separate menu for podcasts yet when you download them, no matter what you do with the tags, they are thrown in with the music and podcasts menu stays empty.

Bugs the hell out of me.
???
My podcasts are always in the podcast section. Do you mean podcasts not downloaded through iTunes? It may only work with iTunes.
Old 01-13-07, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No I only use iTunes and the podcasts are separated in itunes but once they hit the ipod nano they are in with the music.
Old 01-14-07, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by bballing
No I only use iTunes and the podcasts are separated in itunes but once they hit the ipod nano they are in with the music.
That makes no sense to me. I have a Nano and if I download through iTunes they are synced to the iPod when I connect it. The only time I've seen what you describe is when I download it outside of iTunes and drop it on my iPod myself.

Have you messed with your sync settings for Podcasts? When you connect your Nano to iTunes, you should see a folder under your iPod that says "Podcasts." Anything you sync should show up in there.
Old 03-28-07, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Rather than start a new thread....

I use iTunes for all of my podcasts, both audio and video. I encode and feed the video ones back to my TiVo for viewing. I greatly prefer the Divx versions of these podcasts when I can get them, the encoder I use does a better job with that type of file.

I understand iTunes is really meant for podcasts to an iPod and this may be the answer to the question, but: Why can I not subscribe to a divx feed in iTunes? I plug in the RSS and it just freezes up on attempting the download or does nothing at all.

I guess if I can replace iTunes with something else that would solve the problem. Then the other question becomes: what podcast client gives an obvious visual notification of a new file? iTunes gives you the bullet point next to the podcast and you can right-click to clear it by marking "not new". I would really want a replacement that works exactly the same, but I don't think Juice or Doppler work like that.
Old 03-29-07, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Are you on a Mac or PC? Apple does not acknowledge Divx for whatever reason. Is there a Divx plugin for Quicktime?

I think Apple prefers H.264.
Old 03-29-07, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm on a PC and strictly use iTunes podcast ability for downloading, I don't transfer any podcasts to an iPod.
Old 03-30-07, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by SubZeri
First, go into the options and select manual updating.
Where the hell is the options menu?!?!? I can't find it anywhere.
Old 03-31-07, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by MartinBlank
Where the hell is the options menu?!?!? I can't find it anywhere.
Edit>Preferences>General
Old 04-03-07, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Is there a way to disable creating subfolders (one folder for each different podcast) within the podcast folder in iTunes? I couldn't find anything in the menus or in the help file.