Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

"System Restore Unsuccessful"...help!

Old 12-17-06, 05:28 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

"System Restore Unsuccessful"...help!

Why is this happening? First, I have been getting this Macromedia Flash error that opens a few dozen (literally) error messages when my PC sits idle for a few moments. this just started happening and I don't know why.

So, I wanted to restore to an earlier time and try to wipe this out. Now, whenever and whatever point I pick it comes back as "unsuccessful". Anyone know why this would be happening and what I can do about it?

Thanks...
Old 12-17-06, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

start with the error messages. what do they say? then go to the control panel > admin tools > event viewer and look for what errors happened during the mac flash and system restore.
Old 12-17-06, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Ranger
start with the error messages. what do they say? then go to the control panel > admin tools > event viewer and look for what errors happened during the mac flash and system restore.
what if i don't have "admin tools"? I am using WME and don't see that option in Control Panel.
Old 12-17-06, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Control Panel >Performance and Maintenance >Administrative Tools >Event Viewer ?

OR

Start > Run> eventvwr
Old 12-18-06, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by IDrinkMolson
Control Panel >Performance and Maintenance >Administrative Tools >Event Viewer ?

OR

Start > Run> eventvwr
i tried both and can't do either. just not an option. is there anything else i can do? thanks again.
Old 12-18-06, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You are running Windows ME, is that correct?

If so,

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsME/u...temrestore.asp

Have you also tried to uninstall all Macromedia programs?
Old 12-18-06, 04:09 PM

'Error: Could Not Find Macromedia Flash Player'

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
You are running Windows ME, is that correct?

If so,

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsME/u...temrestore.asp

Have you also tried to uninstall all Macromedia programs?
this is the message that pops up in literally a dozen or so message boxes. they pop up when i sit idle.
i know how to do system restore, it's just that it gives me an "Unsuccessful" message anytime i try going back.

how do i delete macromedia programs or at least how do i know what uses it? thanks...
Old 12-19-06, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by scott1598
this is the message that pops up in literally a dozen or so message boxes. they pop up when i sit idle.
i know how to do system restore, it's just that it gives me an "Unsuccessful" message anytime i try going back.

how do i delete macromedia programs or at least how do i know what uses it? thanks...
Start>settings>control panel>add remove programs.

What kind of popups? Beginning to sound like a virus or trojan if you cannot do a restore.
Old 12-20-06, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
Start>settings>control panel>add remove programs.

What kind of popups? Beginning to sound like a virus or trojan if you cannot do a restore.
when i said popup, i meant the error dialog, no rogue ad popups. i used spybot to take care of extraneous stuff.

i can't even creat a restore point or scroll back past December to the other months.

any thoughts on how i can fix this? thanks for all already.
Old 12-20-06, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

when i said popup, i meant the error dialog, no rogue ad popups. i used spybot to take care of extraneous stuff.

i can't even creat a restore point or scroll back past December to the other months.

any thoughts on how i can fix this? thanks for all already.
Well not sure how to help, really. Windows ME was a poor OS and is no longer supported by Microsoft.

Q. What should I do if System Restore does not work?

A. Try the following steps:

Ensure the Windows Management Instrumentation service is running. For instructions on how to do this, see "How can I verify that the Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) services are running on my machine?" in this section.

Ensure the Task Scheduler is running. For instructions on how do to this, see "How can I verify that the Task Scheduler is running on my machine?" in this section.

Verify that you have enough free space on all your drives as required by System Restore. If the free space on any partition system restore is monitoring falls below 50 MB, System Restore will suspend and purge out all restore points to free up disk space. It will automatically reactivate when 200 MB+ free space is available.

Examine event logs for any system restore-related errors that could help you identify the problem

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/com...store_faq.mspx

You may not want to hear this but you could upgrade to Windows 2K or Windows XP.

Good luck!
Old 12-20-06, 04:05 PM

Thanks Brian.
Do you know the cheapest place to get XP and will it work if I only have 128 MB of RAM? Also, since I have ME do I need a full version or just an upgrade pak?

Last edited by OldBoy; 12-20-06 at 04:12 PM.
Old 12-20-06, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks Brian.
Do you know the cheapest place to get XP and will it work if I only have 128 MB of RAM? Also, since I have ME do I need a full version or just an upgrade pak?
No 128 will not be enough.

Not sure of your budget, lots of cheap pc's this time of year. Buying an upgrade of full version of the OS will nearly be as much as a budget pc.