Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Help with IE 7

Old 12-17-06, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Help with IE 7

So upgraded to IE 7 and not sure I like it. I did some looking around at the MS site for help, but couldn't find what I was looking for.

On my laptop I only have a 12" screen so had worked the tool bars just the way I like them, mainly putting mulitiple tool bars on the line. However on IE 7 I cann't seem to do anything with the address tool bar or "tabbed" tool bar.

On the address tool bar I want to make it smaller horizontally and put something like my Yahoo or Google tool bar next to it.

I'm not sure I really see the advantage of the tabs. Yea, multiple window and easy to move from one to the other, but that tool bar is huge, and again, I can't see a way to make it smaller horizontally and put another tool bar along side.

Am I missing something or can you do what I want????
Old 12-17-06, 12:05 PM

From my understanding, the toolbars in IE7 are not that customizable.

My suggestion is to go with Firefox 2. Just better all around.

Tabs are great. And with FF, the tab bar only shows when there is more than one tab.
Old 12-17-06, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, I don't think you can move the toolbars on IE7. I would've liked to move the addess bar back to the bottom. No Luck.
Old 12-17-06, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I use Firefox for some things, and IE for others.

But, the "Links" toolbar is pissing me off. I like it shrank down and on the same level as another bar, so that all you can see is the word "Links" and the double arrows. For whatever reason it won't save it the next time I open IE.
Old 12-17-06, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by IDrinkMolson
But, the "Links" toolbar is pissing me off. I like it shrank down and on the same level as another bar, so that all you can see is the word "Links" and the double arrows. For whatever reason it won't save it the next time I open IE.
thats how mine is.. didnt do anything special, just drug it up there and stuck it where i wanted it and it stayed
Old 12-17-06, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

ie7 seems like it can't remember which toolbar icon buttons not to show. i like the menu but want to get rid of the toolbar next to the tabs, so i go to add/remove butons, remove them all, close the window, and open ie, and they're all back.
Old 12-17-06, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by twikoff
thats how mine is.. didnt do anything special, just drug it up there and stuck it where i wanted it and it stayed
Hmm, I just got it to stick to the left of the Google bar, but it won't stay anywhere else.