Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Why can't I get my Alt keystrokes to work?

Old 12-16-06, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Why can't I get my Alt keystrokes to work?

I've been using my laptop (an HP dv1000) recently and have encountered a problem. I can't seem to get any of the Alt keystrokes to work. As an example, let's say I want to insert a special character, like a copyright symbol. If I'm using Word I can always work through the Insert menu, but in Paint Shop Pro I need to actually input the code. So I look it up in "charmap" through the Start menu --> Run, and discover that the code for the symbol is Alt+0169. However when I try typing this, I get no response. I used to do the exact same thing when I was using my desktop computer (same OS, same PSP software) and it worked fine. Is there some setting I need to activate/deactivate in order to get the Alt keystrokes to work? Appreciate any help.
Old 12-16-06, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I believe that the Alt character codes require the keypad, so you'd be out of luck on a laptop (without an add-on keypad). This is assuming that your Alt key actually works for things like making menu items pop.
Old 12-16-06, 04:41 PM
X
Administrator

Sometimes notebooks have a number pad built in along with the alphabet keys. Do you see numbers and the basic math symbols around the j,k,l keys?

I suppose you have to hit some function key along with them or otherwise turn on their functionality.
Old 12-16-06, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Works on my laptop when using the keypad mode. Asus V6V
Old 12-17-06, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by X
Sometimes notebooks have a number pad built in along with the alphabet keys. Do you see numbers and the basic math symbols around the j,k,l keys?

I suppose you have to hit some function key along with them or otherwise turn on their functionality.
Okay, found them. I activated their functionality with the "fn" key. That was easy enough. Thanks for the help.