Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Can I edit a scanned document?

Old 12-16-06, 12:47 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Can I edit a scanned document?

I know there must be a way, but when I scan in something I've typed, I can't seem to go into it and edit with any application. I've tried Word, Notepad, stuff like that to no avail.

Anyone know if and how I can scan a typed document and be able to easily edit that document?

Thanks for any assistance.
Old 12-16-06, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

No. When you scan a document, it is the same as taking a photo of it. If you take a photo of a street sign, you can't simply retype the numbers. It's not that easy.

But, there is a way to do it.

The first way is to treat the document as an image. Edit it in any image-editing software like Photoshop.

The other way to do it is to scan the document in OCR (Optical Character Recognition) mode. Your scanner's software will "read" the document and convert it into a Word or Notepad document you can edit. It's not perfect and it takes some retyping, but it does the job. Note, this doesn't work as well if you have graphs and the like.

Not all scanners have OCR-capable software. You may just need to scan the image and then convert the image using OCR software into something you can type.

Good luck!
Old 12-16-06, 12:55 PM

You need some type of OCR (optical character recognition) software. This will convert your scanned picture to editable text. Usually scanners are bundled with a copy.

I don't know of any freeware options off the top of my head, but I'm sure there's one out there somewhere...
Old 12-16-06, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For OCR, if you have Office, then look for a program called MS Document Imaging under the MS Office Tools in the start menu.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/he...347561033.aspx

Edit: the above program is for exiting scans, use MS Document Scanning if you want to start over and scan/OCR prints.

Last edited by wmansir; 12-16-06 at 01:03 PM.
Old 12-16-06, 01:43 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

thanks to all. i will have to check if i have that application. i have Windows XP and Office on my other pc (with scanner) so hopefully...