Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Looking for good deal on windows XP + vista upgrade coupon

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 12-13-06, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've decided to put windows on my Mac using parallels, and finally get rid of my PC for good. For some reason, I'm going to go legit this time, and actually buy a copy of windows.

I've been doing some searching, but am having some difficulty since pricewatch looks like it gets its prices confused with other versions of windows.

The best I've found so far is from New egg:

Microsoft Windows XP Home Sp2b 1pk w/Upgrade Coupon for Vista - OEM - $89.99.

But it doesn't say what this upgrade coupon is. Is it for free copy of Vista? Or an discount coupon upgrade? And what type of vista does it apply to? I'm guessing not the super/duper premium version, but I'd hate to get a copy of the stripped down piece of crap.

My other option is to just wait for vista to get released, but then, from what I've seen, to get vista around this same price, I'd have to get the upgrade version. I'm not sure if that would work for me. I have a full version of Win95, and the upgrade version of win98. Would Vista allow me to upgrade from an upgrade CD of win98?

Am I missing any other options here?
Old 12-13-06, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

wait until SP1 for Vista comes out

and SP3 for XP is coming out in a few months I think
Old 12-13-06, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks, but I'm not really worried about vista being buggy, I don't really use windows that much anymore. I just need it for a few small programs. And like I mentioned before, I don't think I'd qualify for the retail Vista upgrade.

I'm curious about this Vista coupon Newegg has, though. I'm still searching for a better deal, but NO ONE else seems to offer this coupon. WHo would take the coupon? Would it be something that newegg fulfills? Or microsoft?
Old 12-13-06, 01:07 PM

My guess is with the upgrade coupon, you'd get an upgrade to one of the Vista versions. It could be totally free, or you may have to pay a small cost, shipping, and/or tax.

This doesn't help you, but I just bought an HP PC and HP has a Vista upgrade site open. For me, with XP Media Center, it gets an upgrade to Vista Home Premium. Only XP Home goes to Vista Home Basic. XP Pro goes to Vista Business.

I haven't applied yet, but it looks like they send you two DVDs, one with Vista, the other with driver updates.
Old 12-13-06, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

OH, now that throws a monkey wrench in the picture!

I can also get the XP Media Center OEM + Vista Coupon for $120 ... maybe that coupon would be good for Vista Home Premium? I sure wish they were more clear about this.

if I did get XP Media Center, would it work on my mac? I know it only supports certain video capture cards, and the mac has none... but would it still install, and the regular parts of it work? Or would it check compatiblity during install and abort if it doesn't find supported hardware?
Old 12-13-06, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, that will go to Vista Premium, and by the comments it's a free ($10 S&H) upgrade. The XP Home edition goes to Vista Basic. The major differences are the 3D desktop support (which probably won't work under Parallels anyway) and bundled Multimedia stuff (Movie Maker, DVD burning, Media Center app).

One thing to note for people looking to upgrade, Vista Basic (upgrade) will be $99, so you really aren't saving any money if you're planing to upgrade an existing XP install to Vista Basic. However, Vista Premium upgrade is $159 so the XP MCE + coupon upgrade is cheaper than retail upgrading. I don't know how much an OEM copy of Vista Basic/Premium will be, so that could be cheaper too, but based on past MS releases OEM versions won't be able to upgrade an existing XP install (which I assume the coupon version can).

Last edited by wmansir; 12-13-06 at 04:01 PM.
Old 12-13-06, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by al_bundy

and SP3 for XP is coming out in a few months I think
More like a year, actually.

But since he wants Windows now, might as well get a free copy of Vista. If it sucks, he always has XP
Old 12-13-06, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

fyi, the EULA for the home versions of vista do not permit their use in a virtualized environment. this was discussed at slashdot in this thread.
Old 12-14-06, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Do you think Vista Home will be able to tell if it's running in a VM or not, and disable itself if it detcts that?
Old 12-14-06, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

i think XP Home is an upgrade to Home Basic

For Home Premium you need to buy MCE