Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Monitor not showing anything

Old 12-11-06, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Monitor not showing anything

I've got an HP computer, with a built in video port on the motherboard. With that, I purchased a Samsung LCD monitor, and have been using it for several months. Up until this morning, it worked perfectly.

I left the computer on while I went to work, and the monitor went to sleep like normal. When I got home and shook the mouse, it looked like the monitor woke up, but the screen shows nothing. It just shows a completely black screen, but is on.

When I unplug the monitor cable, I get the "check cable" error, and I am able to access the monitor menu. I've checked the pins, and they all look fine. I've rebooted a few times, but that doesn't do anything different. I left the computer off while I went to bed, and rebooting it after getting back up made no difference.

I have no other computers, or monitors, to test things out on. Because of this, I am wondering if I should just buy a video card and try connecting that. If I do that, will the computer and monitor recognize it without needing to install drivers or change settings?