Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Get iTunes to reorg. library by ID3 Tag

Old 12-11-06, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Get iTunes to reorg. library by ID3 Tag

i have a large mp3 collection that I have used iTunes for. iTunes organizes the music by the CDDB but sometimes (a lot times) the information is incorrect, mispelled or in the instance of rap has 2 or more artists in the artist field.
For example, I want everything made by Janet Jackson in the Janet Jackson folder, not a Janet Jackson folder then a Janet Jackson feat. Usher folder and then a Janet Jackson w/ Mariah folder... etc
Updating it in iTunes does not change the file structure which is where my ipod pulls from. So outside of going thru each folder manually and then reimporting the library is there an easier way to get the file structure to reorg based on the new ID3 tags I put in on iTunes?
Old 12-11-06, 09:47 PM

Under iTunes's Preferences, go to Advanced and check "Keep iTunes Music folder organized".
Old 12-12-06, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by GHackmann
Under iTunes's Preferences, go to Advanced and check "Keep iTunes Music folder organized".
This doesn't work - it will not go back and reorg the folders after I change the ID3 tags.
btw, this is iTunes for windows.
Old 12-12-06, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

What do you mean your ipod pulls from the folders? If you change the name in iTunes, what does it matter what the folder says?

I only ask because I couldn't care less what my folders are named. I can't remember the last time I went in there manually. They are correct in iTunes, which is all I need.
Old 12-12-06, 12:40 PM
Retired

I think you're issue is with the compilation option...but I've never figured out how to use it.

Maybe someone who has can elaborate.
Old 12-12-06, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by squidget
This doesn't work - it will not go back and reorg the folders after I change the ID3 tags.
btw, this is iTunes for windows.
Did you try deleting the itunes library file and then letting itunes rediscover your music?
Old 12-12-06, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Kdogg
Did you try deleting the itunes library file and then letting itunes rediscover your music?
Yes but again iTunes pulls from the folders not the library ID3 tags.
Example:
I had two songs imported into iTunes from Bell Biv DeVoe
One song was by Bell Biv Devoe
One song was by Bell Biv DeVoe
In iTunes I updated them both to say Bell Biv DeVoe
however on the iPod I still have 2 listings for
Bell Biv Devoe
Bell Biv DeVoe

And yes it happens all the time on "compliations" Certain CDs iTunes swears they are comps but they are not.
Old 12-12-06, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

kinda confusing, but maybe you can try using a separate program to fix the id3 tags yourself. for example, i've used foobar2000 to fix some id3 tags and itunes recognized the changes. not sure if the ipod would though.
Old 12-12-06, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm baffled - when I change the name of a track iTunes, it stays changed no matter what I do. It doesn't change back when I put it on my iPod via iTunes. If this didn't happen I would be up shit creek. I change album names, artists and genres constantly.

I do have a Mac, but I used iTunes for years on a PC too.
Old 12-12-06, 05:03 PM

No the ID3 tags are correct but the folders in the iPod are not. So if I go to artists I get the 2 entries by the 2 different artists.
Maybe my iPod needs an update? This is iTunes 6 I believe.
Old 12-12-06, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'd definitely clear the iPod of all music and then try copying it over again, if you haven't already.
Old 12-12-06, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Draven
I'd definitely clear the iPod of all music and then try copying it over again, if you haven't already.
I haven't actually. I'll try that tonight, thanks.
Old 12-12-06, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by GHackmann
This actually WILL work, but only if all your music is in the "My Music" folder (or some other single folder) and you direct iTunes to this folder as your main music folder. Then, when you change the ID3 tags in iTunes, will change the file name and folder structure accordingly.

Also, in your Bell Biv DeVoe example, iTunes will not make the change you indicated -- i.e., changing a "v" to a "V." For whatever reason, it doesn't recognize upper versus lower case when changing file names and folders. To get around this, you need to change it to something completely different first. So, change your "Bell Biv Devoe" to "Bell Biv Defoe" first, then to "Bell Biv DeVoe" and it will work.
Old 12-12-06, 07:30 PM
Retired

I think you guys are missing his problem.

The problem is iTunes makes folders by artist, and then has folders with albums within in them.

This is a problem with compilation cds as they have multiple artists. I think you can get them all in one folder by checking "part of compilation" option in the tags. But I've had problems getting it to work.

It's also a problem with certain albums like Eminem as ti will have the artist sometimes as "Eminem featuring _______" and that ends up as it's own folder.
Old 12-13-06, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
I think you guys are missing his problem.

The problem is iTunes makes folders by artist, and then has folders with albums within in them.

This is a problem with compilation cds as they have multiple artists. I think you can get them all in one folder by checking "part of compilation" option in the tags. But I've had problems getting it to work.

It's also a problem with certain albums like Eminem as ti will have the artist sometimes as "Eminem featuring _______" and that ends up as it's own folder.
DING! Exactly Eminem featuring whoever gets own folder. I'll change it back to Eminem but the folder is still there.
Clearing the iPod didn't work.
I do not have the songs in My Music folder because my hdd isn't big enough. I have a music folder on my external hdd.
Old 12-13-06, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by squidget
DING! Exactly Eminem featuring whoever gets own folder. I'll change it back to Eminem but the folder is still there.
Clearing the iPod didn't work.
I do not have the songs in My Music folder because my hdd isn't big enough. I have a music folder on my external hdd.
Let me get all this straight, you are saying that the ID3 tags are right as in that you wrote it in such a way that Itunes would be sure to put them in the exact folder structure you want?

EX. You had an "EMINEM FEAT. --- " folder, what exactly did you change in the ID3 tag? What I did in the past was set the artist name only and move the "FEAT. --- " to the song/title section.

BOTH the folders on the computer and ipod are still in the wrong order?
Old 12-13-06, 06:54 PM

It's a pain in the ass, but what I do is simply change the title of the track vs the artist name.

For example, iTunes updates and names a song "Forgot About Dre" by Dr. Dre feat. Eminem from the album 2001.

That song gets its own artist folder on my iPod (since Dr. Dre is not the same artist as Dr. Dre feat. Eminem unless I change it thus:
the new song title becomes "Forgot About Dre (feat. Eminem)" by artist Dr. Dre from the album 2001.

That causes all songs by the artist Dr. Dre from that album to be listed under "Dr. Dre" rather than some under "Dr. Dre", others under "Dr. Dre feat. Eminem" and still others under "Dr. Dre feat. Eminem and Xzibit".

It's a pain in the ass to correct that many files, but once it's done and you have them correct, then it's simple to update when you just add one or two albums at a time that need correcting.

Also, this way you avoid classifying something as a compilation when (IMO) it really isn't.

They did update iTunes with the "Album Artist" ID3 tag, but it still needs some work, because you cannot organize your iTunes by that category. Otherwise you could label all the songs on the cd by Album Artist: Dr. Dre and still have Dr. Dre feat. Eminem as the Artist.

Anyway... I'm really anal about my music collection and that's how I get around what I think your problem is...

EDIT to ADD: er... um... what Ranger said.

-ringding-

Last edited by DrRingDing; 12-13-06 at 06:56 PM. Reason: er uhm