Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Is my video card dead? Please help!

Old 12-10-06, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is my video card dead? Please help!

I have a decent Dell system that is less than 2 years old. I installed a BFG 6600GT video card in it about 18 months ago.

Last week my system had a bad lock-up and I had to do a hard reboot. After the reboot, my computer showed the Dell flash screen and then went black. I restarted several times and couldn't get it to go past that screen. If I hit F12 to go into setup I would get the same black screen. Finally I let it set for an hour and it came back to life.

A few days later my wife heard a grinding noise so she turned off the computer. Turns out that the fan on the video card is running slowly and making a bad noise.

Is my video card dead? Is it my motherboard? I don't have the original video card any more to put that in to troubleshoot.

If I have to buy a new video card is the 7300GT the way to go? Would it be comparable to my old 6600GT? I don't want to spend big $$, but I would like it to play Halo 2 on Vista next year.
Old 12-10-06, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i had one dead video card in 10 years building PC's.

my guess is that you do have a bad video card, or at least a bad fan causing overheating. let it cool down and then try it
Old 12-10-06, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, I picked up a video card and that didn't fix it. Now I get the bios screen and then it goes to a black screen with a blinking cursor in the top left corner no matter if I try to let it boot to windows or attempt to get into the bios setup screen.

Sounds like a dead MoBo to me. Any other suggestions before I have to pay somebody to check it out???

Thanks for the help!
Old 12-10-06, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Try reseting the bios.