Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

iPod synching problem/question

Old 12-10-06, 01:05 PM

iPod synching problem/question

Hi
First off, sorry if this is addresed elsewhere.

This seems like a rather simple issue that I cannot figure out.
I am all of a sudden having trouble synching my iPod with iTunes. In the past when I uncheck a song in iTunes and synch the iPod, I thought the song was removed from the iPod. Now when I uncheck a song or podcast selection and synch the iPod, the item remains on the iPod.

Basically, my question is how do I remove songs/podcasts from my iPod? Am I doing something wrong?
Also, when the iPod is plugged in, I can see the iPod contents on iTunes, but I cannot do anything to them (the items are grey and I cannot select them.)

Any help is appreciated. Thank you
Old 12-10-06, 05:19 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I don't use Itunes for anything than adding/deleting files, and I do it all manually. When I want to delete something, I right click the track and choose "clear". I'm not sure if this works if you have Itunes organize everything for you or not. Good luck!
Old 12-10-06, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think in the ipod sync menu, you have to select "Only sync checked items" if you want that to work.
Open Itunes, plug in your ipod, go to the new ipod thing on the explorer bar, under the Music and Podcasts tabs of the Ipod there should be an option 'only sync checked items'. I think that's what you want. Once you do that, then sync, it should remove the things that are not checked.

Under "Summary" you can choose 'only sync checked items'
and under Music/Movies/TVShows/Podcasts you can select to sync specific playlists or podcasts.
Old 12-10-06, 10:35 PM

Thanks for the replies.

All right, I'm an idiot. I just noticed I can scroll down in the Summary tab. All of a sudden I see "only sync checked items"

Now it works. Just didn't know where to find it.

Last edited by lysander; 12-10-06 at 10:47 PM.
Old 12-11-06, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, when they pushed the upgrade to 7.0 out (I assume that's what version you have), they changed the location of some of the options.
Old 12-13-06, 01:10 PM

Ok. now I have another issue. I didn't want to create a new thread, so here it is:

When I was synching my ipod it froze up. Everything froze. the computer, and the ipod. since then, when I plug the ipod in, the computer freezes for a while then I get a message stating that itunes does not recognize the ipod. I have tried soft rebooting and hard rebooting as well as putting it into disk mode and trying it on another computer. Same results. I have also synched an ipod shuffle on itunes with no problems.

I have re-installed itunes, and tried all of the 5 R's. My ipod currently has 0 files on it. Is my hard drive damaged?

The only thing left to try is resetting the ipod to factory settings. I only know how to do this through itunes, and since itunes (as well as My Computer) won't recognize the ipod, I can't do it. My computer identifies a drive attached, but is frozen. I cannot right or left click it. Is there a way to restore factory settings on the ipod with a button combination?

Any other advice is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 12-13-06, 09:45 PM

Never mind. I just went to the genius center at the Apple Store. The hard drive is bad.
Old 01-06-08, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Another synching issue, so another bump. This thing is driving me crazy.

For some reason, I cannot get my wife's old 512MB shuffle not to synch when it is installed. I often move music around, so the directories change a lot, and I have tried everything to get it not to synch with no luck. I have a couple of other ipods that I have had no problems with not synching, but her shuffle tries to synch every time. I've done a restore and played around with all of the settings that I could think of, and still no luck.

HELP!
Old 01-07-08, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Not sure if the shuffle works the same as a larger one, but with non-Shuffle iPods you have to select "Manually manage songs and playlists" within iTunes when the iPod is connected.
Old 01-08-08, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Did some research, and it doesn't seem as though the shuffle allows you to manually update your ipod, so it is always in sync mode. Therefore, if you move your files, you're SOL.

If anyone knows away around this, let me know.

Thanks
Old 07-01-08, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Unrelated question....

My son has an IPOD and it syned to Itunes. My daughter is planning on getting an IPOD as well. Can I sync them both to the same music in Itunes?