Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

DVD Playing Problem in Windows Media Center and Media Player

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 12-06-06, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I was wondering if others are having a problem playing a DVD with Windows Media Center or Windows Media Player 10 ever since December.

I got my computer in October and was happily using it to play DVDs on the 2 mentioned players until December. Now, Media Center just shows a black screen and Media Player gives me a message about digital copy protection. The very odd thing is that after speaking to Dell Support, they said to change the date on my computer back to November. Strangely enough, this solves the problem. However, I've been changing the date back and forth as I want the date to be accurate for the rest of my computer use.

Is this a known issue, and would Microsoft likely be issuing some kind of update to correct this? I tried to search around but couldn't find anything about this issue.

I wouldn't mind trying another DVD player, but I've found that these 2 Windows players are the only ones which let me do a screen capture. With several other players I've tried, I can only capture a black screen. Is there a way to get around this? I'm using Gadwin Print Screen as my capture program.

Thank you for any input!
Old 12-06-06, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

sounds like a problem i had with powerdvd which a patch fixed. was it giving you a tv out error? maybe it works with tv out disabled?
Old 12-06-06, 03:08 PM
mbs

Which DVD decoder are you using?

This isn't a MS bug, per se. They don't ship MCE with a bundled MPEG-2 (DVD) decoder. So you have to add that via PowerDVD, Nvidia PureDVD, et cetera.

I used PureDVD (it does cost like $30 after the trial expires), but in my experience is hands-down the best decoder (if you care about scaling and deinterlacing). It's worth trying out other encoders and seeing which you like best.
Old 12-06-06, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Ranger
sounds like a problem i had with powerdvd which a patch fixed. was it giving you a tv out error? maybe it works with tv out disabled?
No, I didn't get a tv out error. What's odd is that it worked perfectly until it became December! And fooling it by changing the computer calendar back to November makes it work.
Old 12-06-06, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by mbs
Which DVD decoder are you using?

This isn't a MS bug, per se. They don't ship MCE with a bundled MPEG-2 (DVD) decoder. So you have to add that via PowerDVD, Nvidia PureDVD, et cetera.

I used PureDVD (it does cost like $30 after the trial expires), but in my experience is hands-down the best decoder (if you care about scaling and deinterlacing). It's worth trying out other encoders and seeing which you like best.
I'm sorry, I don't know which DVD decorder I have! I'm not computer savvy, and I don't know how to find out. My item description from Dell doesn't specify. But wouldn't I have whatever I need since it was working until December (and still works if I set the clock back to November)?
Old 12-06-06, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

could be that your install had a trialware dvd decoder but that doesn't seem right even for dell. i'd call back tech support and demand that they send you a working dvd decoder via cd or download.

you've already checked dell's download list for your machine? maybe there's a new patch for it.
Old 12-06-06, 05:11 PM

Ranger and mbs,

Thanks for your comments! I checked the Dell site on Ranger's advice and browsed the forum. It appears that this is happening to everyone with Cineplayer (Windows Media uses the same codec). They are hoping to have a patch soon.

From the Dell forum moderator:

All,

There is an issue with Cineplayer not working. That could be no video, no audio or corrupted video. We’re aware of the issue and are working with Sonic on getting this resolved shortly.

The problem only manifests when the clock is set to the month of December. So simply change the date to another month and it will work.

This is only a workaround. We are currently working with Sonic to resolve this issue. We’ve been told that a patch should be available by Wednesday, December 6th.

We apologize for the inconvenience and assure you we are working to get this resolved as quickly as possible.
Old 12-06-06, 08:29 PM
mbs

Originally Posted by rkndkn
It appears that this is happening to everyone with Cineplayer (Windows Media uses the same codec).
You should consider uninstalling Cineplayer and going with Purevideo or PowerDVD. Whichever DVD decoder you have installed, WMV will recognize and use (if you have two installed, you can specify which to use).

It just sounds like this Cineplayer decoder is awfully shoddy. I've never heard of them either, but maybe I'm out of the loop on that. With another decoder, you would still be able to use your screencap program (because you would continue to use MWV, just with a better decoder).
Old 12-10-06, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I downloaded the CinePlayer patch from Dell, and everything works correctly now.

I'm still angry that Sonic didn't have anything about it on their website. I'm never going to buy anything from them.
Old 12-10-06, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Link:
http://support.dell.com/support/down...&fileid=190215
Old 12-20-06, 11:20 PM

Ok, now DVD plays but I have no sound

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
Thanks for the link! I downloaded the patch and it works!

My only problem now is that I don't get any sound from my DVDs.

CDs play fine, all the sound effects for all the programs work (even Windows Media Center). However when the DVD is inserted (Star Wars Episode 3: ROTS, for example) there's no sound. The volume is set to its highest setting in both applications (CinePlayer and Windows Media Center).

The only thing I can think of is that possibly (in my case) there's an sound Codec that needs to be replaced for Windows Media Center. My daugther received a "Zune" MP3 player as a gift and ever since then I've noticed that my DVDs aren't playing any sound when inserted. Again, CDs play normally (in all three applications, iTunes, Zune and Windows Media Center).

If any of you have any ideas, let me know. I'm going to try hunting for an updated Codec for DVDs and see if that helps.

EDIT: Success! One of my audio settings in CinePlayer was set to "Digital" instead of "2 speaker Stereo". Now sound plays from my DVDs in both applications. (I still don't know why CinePlayer would effect Windows Media Center, but oh well.)

- Skip

Last edited by MrPodar; 12-20-06 at 11:38 PM.