Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

AVG Free to be part of Vista

Old 12-06-06, 01:42 PM

AVG Free to be part of Vista

Relative to the other AVG free thread, didn't want this to get overlooked. Interesting indeed, I think.

Microsoft Makes AVG Security Products Available Directly From Windows Security Center in Windows Vista

GRISOFT is first to offer free antivirus protection to users of upcoming Windows OS

Millburn, N.J. - November 6, 2006 – GRISOFT today announced that Microsoft is making AVG Anti-Virus 7.5 and AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition available via Windows Security Center as a Windows Vista security solution. The solutions are available in the latest release of the Windows Vista™ beta program and will be available in the commercial release. The programs can be accessed via this link: http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...istaRC1AV.mspx

Antivirus protection is vital for computer users. Now with support for Windows Security Center in Windows Vista, using AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition and the latest commercial release is even more convenient. AVG products utilize a low level of computer resources. This feature is now even more important as personal computers and networks today run more and more different applications and services simultaneously, which can slow computer performance.

“Partners are a key component in Microsoft’s goal of providing robust security solutions for our customers for Windows Vista,” said Ben Fathi, corporate vice president, Security Technology Unit, Microsoft Corp. “GRISOFT has worked with us throughout the Vista release process, we are pleased to see the release of their Vista beta for our customers and look forward to continuing to work with them on future Windows releases.”

GRISOFT’s Windows Vista-ready products include AVG Anti-Virus 7.5 and AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition. These AVG products offer protection against a variety of computer and cyber threats like viruses, Trojans, adware, dialers, keyloggers and worms. These products also include automatic updates and a single, user-friendly interface.

“We’re very excited to be working with Microsoft to provide their and our users with protection for the current Windows Vista beta program and upcoming launch of the new operating system,” said Larry Bridwell, vice president for communications at GRISOFT. “Our security programs are ready for the Windows Vista launch and making sure that users have the best security protection and great services available for their PCs.”
Old 12-06-06, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Excellent.
Old 12-06-06, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Good to hear... I wonder if there will be complaints that Microsoft is including this.
Old 12-06-06, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

personally, i didn't like avg, but maybe microsft can streamline it.
Old 12-06-06, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

nice symantec bitch slap after the nonsense they tried to pull
Old 12-06-06, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I prefer avast! but this is a good move. I was a bit annoyed, but not surprised, to see that all of the options within the Vista beta were pay only. I tried the MS's OneCare service, with a 3 month trial I believe, but it was so 'simplified' that I couldn't even find/figure out how to disable options to see if they were the cause of some issues I was having.
Old 12-07-06, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
given it's integrated into vista - will we still have to live with AVGs sig on the bottom of every email?
Old 12-07-06, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, it's not integrated yet because I just installed the corp. edition of Vista Business and Enterprise, no antivirus software is included.
Old 12-07-06, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I wonder if teaming up with MS like will put a huge "hack me" target on AVG's head.

Apple cult members who write pc viruses.
Old 12-07-06, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just to clarify this announcement does not mean that AVG comes pre-installed with Vista. It just means AVG will be added to the existing options in the Vista Security Center. So, like XP, if Vista sees you do not have an AV program running it will alert you, but it goes one step further and presents a list of compatible/recommended/whatever products.

I'm not sure how 'integrated' it is beyond that, it may just be a link to the AVG website. I recall MS's LiveCare's trial was very easy to install from that point, but I don't recall if Vista handled it or just dumped me off to their website.
Old 12-07-06, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by al_bundy
Exactly.
Old 12-07-06, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I installed AVG about a year ago, but ended up uninstalling it because it was destabilizing my system.

It was also annoying because it would seize control of my system and do full system scans every day.
Old 12-07-06, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I use AVG AntiVirus Free Edition 7.5.432 and I find it to be fast, stable and doesn't hog system resources.
Old 12-08-06, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by RayChuang
I use AVG AntiVirus Free Edition 7.5.432 and I find it to be fast, stable and doesn't hog system resources.
What's funny is that the two compaints posted here... the e-mail signature and the daily scan are easily configurable in every version of AVG free I've ever used.
Old 12-10-06, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by al_bundy
Im just curious what nonsense they tried to pull ? ive been busy working and haven't been able to keep up with current events.

Thanks
Old 12-10-06, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

MS locked down the kernel in Vista and Symantec along with Mcafee didn't like the API they had to go through since it would result in a major software rewrite. I think it was AVG's whose software was already written to be compatible with Vista with some minor code changes. Symantec and Mcafee complained to Microsoft because they wanted direct access to the kernel.

I guess they had some major arguments since MS took a third party AV software to make it look like they weren't trying to clamp down on competition.