Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Warming up a dual core

Old 12-06-06, 11:58 AM

Warming up a dual core

I just got a new computer - it was a major update, considering my old PC was eight years old - and would like to find some stuff that can show me what it can do. Can be games, or something else - ?.

Here's what I have to work with:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200
2 GB DDR2 RAM
300 GB HD
Nvidia GeForce 6150 LE, 256 MB
DSL

Some games I've thought of picking up are HalfLife 2, Doom 3, FEAR, SWAT 4, and Elite Force 2.

Doesn't have to be the latest and greatest. I've been out of PC gaming for years because my old PC couldn't handle stuff. I'm just now playing GTA III for the first time!

Thanks for any reccs/suggestions.
Old 12-06-06, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Altimus Prime
I just got a new computer - it was a major update, considering my old PC was eight years old - and would like to find some stuff that can show me what it can do. Can be games, or something else - ?.

Here's what I have to work with:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200
2 GB DDR2 RAM
300 GB HD
Nvidia GeForce 6150 LE, 256 MB
DSL

Some games I've thought of picking up are HalfLife 2, Doom 3, FEAR, SWAT 4, and Elite Force 2.

Doesn't have to be the latest and greatest. I've been out of PC gaming for years because my old PC couldn't handle stuff. I'm just now playing GTA III for the first time!

Thanks for any reccs/suggestions.
First thing you gotta do is get a new video card. There was a deal recently at buy.com for a XFX 7600 GS with 256 MB RAM for $49 after rebates and using Google checkout. Awesome deal that you absolutely shouldn't pass up if it's still good. Otherwise, you're just not going to see the potential of your computer (if it's eye candy you're looking to be wow'd by).
Old 12-06-06, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I agree, the onboard 6150 isn't very good at all, and you can find a decent upgrade for under $150.

What kind of games do you like? Half Life 2 is definitely a good start.
Old 12-06-06, 01:04 PM

A new video card is likely in the future, but not now - still need to pay for the PC first. And I wouldn't want to get a vid card that loses a feature I have - my PC has a TV tuner, and I need to educate myself - is it part of the integrated graphics?

For now I need to work with what I have. As onboard graphics go, I've read this is a good one.

I guess I like the easy to control, uncomplicated, action oriented games. Stuff I've liked in the past have included SWAT 3, Elite Force and Half Life on the PC. Also enjoyed Soldier of Fortune on my Dreamcast. Team stuff like SWAT is OK, but I often find myself playing individual missions and going it alone rather than playing the "right" way with my squad.

Last edited by Altimus Prime; 12-06-06 at 01:12 PM.
Old 12-06-06, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
having played doom3, EF2 and currently playing HL2 I can say those are all fun games regardless of the workout they give the pc, although D3 and HL2 should both do a decent job of that too
Old 12-06-06, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

F.E.A.R. and Elder Scrolls: Oblivion are good system-taxing games, though I'll echo everyone elses sentiments about replacing the video card.
Old 12-06-06, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Originally Posted by shizawn
F.E.A.R. and Elder Scrolls: Oblivion are good system-taxing games, though I'll echo everyone elses sentiments about replacing the video card.
Elder Scrolls kicks every VideoCards ass but the nvidia 8800's

I hear COMPANY OF HEROS is a really beautiful game, but since your not UPD with the VC it might not run well

BTW, Flight Simulator X is another game that NO COMPUTER on earth presently can handle properly
Old 12-06-06, 08:44 PM

I just played the Doom 3 demo, and all I can say is - WOW! It played just fine at the default settings - 800x600, high quality. I think I'll definitely pick this one up - I just need to figure out where to get it for the best deal.

Last edited by Altimus Prime; 12-06-06 at 09:12 PM.
Old 12-07-06, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Deal lol that game is how many years old now. And lol @800x600, get with it hehe. You updated stop playing games like you still have that old pc.

You should be ok after all , those games you mentioned are all old ones. Your try oblivion with that joke of a video card, lack of video card really and your pc will melt and scream for mercy.

Don't be in any hurry to get one though, not great timing you ask me. Hold out of DX10 card. Till then enjoy those year or two old games. You have a lot of catching up to do anyway.
Old 12-07-06, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Definitely get the Far Cry demo. It's only one island, but the game play is so open, and there is so much eye candy, you can replay it a hundred times without getting bored. Plus as one of the first DX9 games it's "old" enough to run well on your system.

Also, the GTA games are fun to play, but as playstation ports they are really not optimized for the PC. Sure they stress the system, but it's kind of like running with boots on. It's hard work, but the results aren't very impressive.
Old 12-07-06, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

F.E.A.R. is some good stuff. You'll need a pretty decent card to run that at full graphics though. Couldn't do it with my Nvidia 6800.
Old 12-07-06, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by hdtv00
Deal lol that game is how many years old now. And lol @800x600, get with it hehe. You updated stop playing games like you still have that old pc.

You should be ok after all , those games you mentioned are all old ones. Your try oblivion with that joke of a video card, lack of video card really and your pc will melt and scream for mercy.

Don't be in any hurry to get one though, not great timing you ask me. Hold out of DX10 card. Till then enjoy those year or two old games. You have a lot of catching up to do anyway.
Ya know, I almost started feeling offended by that response, but...

Yeah, I do have a lot of catch up to do, and that can keep me occupied for a while, with stuff my new PC can run with one of its cores tied behind its motherboard. It's new to me, so it will impress me.

And I saw Doom 3 is about $19.99 at most places. Two years old. But, new to me!

So while I'm playing catch up, I should be OK with my system as it is out of the box. That way I can wait - pay it off, save money, wait for DX10 - and get a really killer video card to go along with the rest of the system. Which, if I'm not mistaken, my system's specs otherwise are pretty good, right? The fact it has 2 gigs of RAM still amazes me.
Old 12-07-06, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Where did you buy the PC from? And to the others: Aren't the next-gen GPUs going to require a lot of power? I'm worried that whatever power supply he has will not be able to handle the cards well.
Old 12-08-06, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yep your specs are ok, although Im unsure when you bought it, for me the CPU is a little on the slowish side. Epsically now that they're aren't the top dogs anymore. But no fear the higher clocked X2's will only get cheaper and maybe if you need to one day replace the 4200. Or maybe nice over clock is in order hehe.

Either way for now you're fine with what you're doing. But try newer games like oblivion, splinter cell double agent or ghost recon and that rig will cry for mercy. They'd still run probably but not so well with things turned up. But since you're so new to it all theres LOTS of good games out there for you to play with, you'll figure it out.

My life was made worse by getting a 24inch 1900x1200 dell lcd...try running things at that res with all the pretty things cranked...at times not fun lol. My specs should be in my sig that I just made. And yes hehe 2 gigs ram is GOD.

AMD X2 4400+ @ 2600mhz +
2 gig ram(2/3/3/6 1T)
1900xt slight OC
dell 2407 LCD
raptor HD

Last edited by hdtv00; 12-08-06 at 05:29 PM.