Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Question about Creative Zen Vision MP3 Player

Old 12-06-06, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Question about Creative Zen Vision MP3 Player

Purchased a higher end MP3 player after some of the lower end Micro Zens kept freezing on me. On the new one (the 30gb version) the LCD screen will not shut off while the player is in use (i.e.: playing music as I do not watch flicks on it). Silly question but is this supposed to happen? At first I thought it was normal for the thing to not go into standby mode and have a blank screen when it is playing music because it would not do so in video mode. However, the battery drain is quite quick (it is advertised at 15 hours and I tend to only get about 4).
Thoughts?
Old 12-06-06, 09:25 AM

Actually listening to my vision:m right now.

Just move that top power button to the right, it will turn the screen off and leave the player on (the buttons will also not respond as this is the "hold" feature, but you can just flip the screen back on to make any changes).

*edit* you can also turn the brightness down on the screen to help with battery life
Old 12-06-06, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BustaCones
Actually listening to my vision:m right now.

Just move that top power button to the right, it will turn the screen off and leave the player on (the buttons will also not respond as this is the "hold" feature, but you can just flip the screen back on to make any changes).

*edit* you can also turn the brightness down on the screen to help with battery life
Are you talking about moving it to the where the LOCK button is? (Towards the headphone jack?) I have done this and it locked the keypad but did not turn the LCD screen off. Does it take some time to do so or is it supposed to be instant?

I have managed to figure out lowering the brihtness down to the lowest to save battery. However, just can't get the LCD screen to blank off and stop depleating my battery.
Old 12-06-06, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh, wait, figured it out! My player was just on the screen with no tune playing or anything. When a tune was playing it blanked out the LCD. Thanks man!
Old 12-06-06, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I purchased the Microphoto, and am extremely unimpressed with the battery so far. I don't look at pictures, and I only listen to my recorded radio shows, and I doubt I'm even getting 8 hours, when it is advertised as 15. This is a flash player, and I was under the impression that those had much better battery lives. Could it be that my background picture is a large jpg that I uploaded to the player?

My screen doesn't stay on, in fact it shuts off a little too quickly for my taste, but it doesn't seem to help. I charged it completely Sunday, and it's already at the red bar levels. I only use it a maximum of 3 hours a day. So I am probably at hour 7 now. I am probably being generous even with that.

I think I'm going to time it next time to see what's going on.
Old 03-26-07, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I ordered my own Zen M:Vision last week and I'm looking to buy an AC adaptor for it. Anyone have any suggestions? I was considering purchasing this one from eBay. I haven't received my player yet however, and I'm a bit confused at the configuration of the adaptor.