Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

HDTV Capture Card recommendations

Old 12-03-06, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

HDTV Capture Card recommendations

I am waiting for my new PC to arrive and I want to add a HDTV card to it to get OTA HD. I will be streaming to my Xobx 360, I already have a cable HD DVR (but do not currently get ABC or Fox), so I only need the capture card. I have looked at several the Hauppauge , ATI TV Wonder, ATI HDTV Wonder, Divico, MyHD and VBox. I am not finding any luck with what one is better than the other, especially where price is concerned. I know Hauppauge is (was) the leader in capture cards, but I can only find one that they make and it is USB.

Help, give me your thoughts on cards, and where to buy. Thanks.
Old 12-04-06, 12:53 AM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have two ATSC tuners in my HTPC (running XP MCE). One is DViCO Fusion HDTV USB and the other is an AverMedia A180 (PCI).

I have been very happy with both, hardware wise. Since I use MCE, I cannot comment on the bundled software. I got the DViCO USB tuner at pcalchemy.com and got the AverMedia card at Newegg.

It's worth checking out AVS to read user reports there. And if you are using any media-environments (MCE, Sage, et cetera) be sure to make sure the cards are compatible.
Old 12-05-06, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well after reading a bunch at AVS and HTPCnews and other sites, I went with the VBox 150, it seems to be the best for the money. If I did not have a dual HD Cable DVR, I would have probably went with their dual tuner model for $200.