Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Laptop questions

Old 12-01-06, 02:27 PM

Laptop questions

Hey, the search isn't working on the board so I apologize if this is a repost. I am in the market for a laptop (my 5 year old iBook's logicboard gave out). So I'm in the market for a laptop. Right now I'm thinking on going with a MacBook, which I'm afraid will be updated in January at MacWorld so I may wait until then and see, or a ThinkPad. I am looking to do some minor gaming but I would like to be able to run most any game even if I have to turn down the settings some. The ThinkPad I am looking at is the T60p with the 2ghz Core 2 Duo, 1.5 gb, and the ATI Mobility FireGL V5250 256mb graphics card. Does anybody have any experience with this graphics card? I can't find any info about it when I search google. If anyone has any other suggestions I would appreciate it. I am looking to stay in the $1500 range (the thinkpad config I have is 1600). Thanks
Old 12-01-06, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Ringo20000
Hey, the search isn't working on the board so I apologize if this is a repost. I am in the market for a laptop (my 5 year old iBook's logicboard gave out). So I'm in the market for a laptop. Right now I'm thinking on going with a MacBook, which I'm afraid will be updated in January at MacWorld so I may wait until then and see, or a ThinkPad. I am looking to do some minor gaming but I would like to be able to run most any game even if I have to turn down the settings some. The ThinkPad I am looking at is the T60p with the 2ghz Core 2 Duo, 1.5 gb, and the ATI Mobility FireGL V5250 256mb graphics card. Does anybody have any experience with this graphics card? I can't find any info about it when I search google. If anyone has any other suggestions I would appreciate it. I am looking to stay in the $1500 range (the thinkpad config I have is 1600). Thanks
I know desktop wise FireGL's are designed for workstation applications, and often result in issues or poor performance gaming wise. I assume that translates into laptops as well.
Old 12-01-06, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If you want a Macbook, wait until Jan. The Macbook Pros are VERY nice, I just got one a few weeks ago. Core 2 Duo is blazing, the graphics card is very nice for what you would use it for.