Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

How do I rip my DVD-RAM disc onto my computer?

Old 11-30-06, 08:42 AM

How do I rip my DVD-RAM disc onto my computer?

Hi there.

I'm having trouble ripping a DVD-RAM disc's contents onto my computer, and can't even play them unless I use a silly little media player called Intervideo WinDVD that was already on my computer when I got it.

I recorded a couple of TV programmes straight onto the disc using a DVD recorder machine, and wanted to upload them onto my laptop. But when I try and play them it doesn't work on MediaPlayer, only on Intervideo. All that happens when I insert the disc is a box comes up entitled TSB0003 (E and within that box are 4 little boxes called: DVD_RTAV , TS_MANGR , TS_PFDAT , TS_THMNL which I assume are the contents of the disc or something. Anyway, I imagine this means that there's something wrong with the disc cos normally you get the box come up saying "Play using MediaPlayer", "Copy using Windows", etc etc.

Anyway I'm not that bothered about playing the contents I just want to rip them, but when I go onto my DVDRipperWizard (or any other ripper I download from the net), when I click on "Open DVD", and then click on TSB000 (E it just says "The specified path is not a DVD driver or DVD folder", and obviously doesn't let me rip it.

So, assuming that the disc isn't damaged (I only got it recently), what do I have to do to this disc to enable the computer to recognize it and therefore let me play/rip it? I've already tried to 'finalize' it but the DVD recorder machine wouldn't let me, I guess DVD-RAM discs can't be finalized or something.

But in any case surely there's something easy I can do to the disc to make it playable/ripable? I normally have no problem playing/ripping proper DVDs with films on etc, but I can't play/rip this homemade one.

Anyone out there who knows what to do???

Many thanks.
Old 11-30-06, 09:57 AM
X
Administrator

First, you need a DVD drive that can read DVD-RAM. Not many do.

It might be easier to copy the contents back to your DVD recorder and rewrite it back onto DVD + or - R media.
Old 11-30-06, 10:31 AM

DVD-RAM tool

Hi thanks for the answer, i'm not sure if the laptop does read DVD-RAM disks but i have an icon on desktop called DVD-RAM Tool, which i assume helps the laptop read RAM disks?? anyway i guess i should record the stuff onto a dvd-r/rw disk as you suggested. thanks 4 the reply.
Old 11-30-06, 11:52 AM
Banned

i used TMPGENC MPEG editor.