Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

MS Word Question: Numbering Documents?

Old 11-29-06, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

MS Word Question: Numbering Documents?

My company uses a standard form, each one numbered in sequential order. They print them in batches of 20 with each page having the same form, but a different hand-entered number. I'm sure Word can do this automatically but I just can't figure out HOW. The best I could get was page numbering, but it has to be in the header or footer. I want it to appear in a table cell.

Ideas?
Old 11-30-06, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I assume that you could use page number? In other words, each form takes up exactly one page?

If so, click in the table cell, and in the menu bar click Insert --> Fields..., then scroll down under All and select PAGE.
Old 11-30-06, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yes, each one takes up one page.

Can I change the starting number? We print them in batches of 20 or so. IE 1-20 the first time, then as we run low 21-40, etc.
Old 11-30-06, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by shaun3000
Yes, each one takes up one page.

Can I change the starting number? We print them in batches of 20 or so. IE 1-20 the first time, then as we run low 21-40, etc.
I'm sure you can set this in a conventional way, but damned if I remember how to do it.

The unconventional way -- click on Insert, Page Numbers, then click on Format and set the starting page number. You can then delete the page number from the footer -- but that sets the section properties so the correct page number will show up.
Old 11-30-06, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Got it, I used the SEQ function in the same Fields... window. It was kind of a pain to figure out but I made it work.