Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

firefox and security

Old 11-29-06, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

firefox and security

reading this forum for the past few years led me to start using firefox and i have loved using for the past 3 or 4 years now. i use it at home and work and now, my place of business claims they have found "security vulnerabilities associated with firefox" and will be taking it from the users who have it. they will only support IE now.

now, i have a feeling this is a boggus excuse as i have found and heard of more problems with security by using IE. can anyone help me with some stats and facts so that i can try and debate this???
Old 11-29-06, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

well, ie uses activex which is one reason to use firefox. so that's a start.

it might not be as bogus as you think. sometimes, companies just find it easier to set permissions (windows/internet content) for ie to have better control.
Old 11-29-06, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by hgar78
now, i have a feeling this is a boggus excuse as i have found and heard of more problems with security by using IE. can anyone help me with some stats and facts so that i can try and debate this???
probably going to have alot of problems argueing with them.. over the last couple weeks, several of the top security companies have released findings in their newsletters of major security flaws in firefox, more specifically in allowing users to steal saved passwords.
If the people in your IT group that are making these claims, receive these alerts, then they are using that as their excuse to go with a uniform solution that is easier to try and monitor and secure.
Old 12-03-06, 03:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My company took it off of my computer as well. Firefox wasn't one of their approved programs. Why? I don't know.