Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Recovering data (video) from a scratched CD?

Old 11-27-06, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Recovering data (video) from a scratched CD?

A while back I made a CD with a Windows Media Video on it - I wanted to make a DVD, but at the time, making a WMV CD was all I knew.

Anyway, long story short...my friends and I have passed the CD around for a few years, and along the way, it's incurred some scratches. There are a few minutes around the middle of the video (it's about 25 minutes in length) that won't play on any computer.

I've tried the Skip Doctor on it and cleaning solutions to no avail. What can I use to rip this to my computer so I can burn it to a new disc (or DVD, which I'd much rather prefer)? Or...is my info gone forever?

*Edited to add - I've ripped scratched audio CD's to the computer before, but never video files, which is why I ask.

= J

Last edited by Tarantino; 11-27-06 at 10:21 PM.
Old 11-28-06, 10:06 AM

Give IsoBuster a shot. The free version is more than good enough for most people, and the Pro version is fairly inexpensive ($25.95).
Old 11-28-06, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^^ I agree with ISO buster

but before you do, take some car wax (not the new fancy xtreme tech polish stuff, but good old fashioned WAX) and wax the recorded side of the media from center to edge using a soft lint free cloth (rub hard) then let it dry and wipe it off

If that does not help, then try the 3 step NOVUS plastic polish system

http://www.noscratch.com/novus/

order all three, you will need them

http://www.aerostich.com/product.php...cat=271&page=1

onc eyou are all polished up, try ISO buster again
Old 11-28-06, 09:29 PM
lxl

I recommend CDCheck:

http://www.kvipu.com/CDCheck/
Old 11-29-06, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm going to try isobuster tonight. I'll update when I've finished.

= J
Old 11-29-06, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You might try getting it resurfaced at a video rental store or some place where they do that. I'm not sure if that would work with a CD-R though.
Old 11-29-06, 04:43 AM

You could try and copy everything to your harddisk, and burn a new copy. You could try "unstoppable copier" from this website: http://www.roadkil.net/unstopcp.html

This is a program which tries to copy data, and if it fails (scratches), it will retry and retry, and basically attempt to rebuild the data based of successfull partial retries.
Old 11-29-06, 05:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If it plays ok in a standalone dvd player you could plug dvd player into computer and capture it.
Old 11-29-06, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, isobuster wouldn't do it...it stopped at about 50% and couldn't read the sectors. I think I might be screwed on this one (which sucks, because it took a while to make the video). I think I still have some of the footage which we used, but not all of it.

I'm going to try the 'unstoppable copier', but I'm not expecting much.

= J
Old 11-29-06, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Can you see visible scratches on the bottom?

If so, you should really try the Novus system. I have recovered many Cds with the stuff where visible scratches were causing the read errors.
Old 11-29-06, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by 4KRG
If so, you should really try the Novus system. I have recovered many Cds with the stuff where visible scratches were causing the read errors.
Alternatively, you could try Brasso polish. Although I personally have not tried to restore a CD using Brasso, I've read many articles online that all state that this stuff works miracles on restoring CDs. Do a Google search for "brasso CD repair" and I'm sure tons of articles will pop up.
Old 11-30-06, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Hold the CD up to the light. Can you see holes in the foil in some places? If any scratches occurred on the label side, you may have lost parts of the data layer completely. If not, I concur with other recommendations. Good Luck!
Old 11-30-06, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I had one experience with a game CD covered in scratches that would not install. (Sold as "like new" on Ebay!) A recommendation I read on the internet sounded pretty ridiculous, but I decided I had nothing to lose so I gave it a shot.

I basically used a Q-tip to smear toothpaste all over the disc. (I tried to do it in straight lines moving back and forth from the center to the edge, rather than in a circular motion.) It was a baking soda variety, if that even matters.

Then I cleaned all of it off with some cleaner fluid I own for DVDs.

For some reason, I had to do this twice. But after the second time, I noticed I could no longer see a very prominent scratch that had been there before. I popped in the CD and was surprised to see files appear in Windows Explorer which had been missing before. Thankfully, it installed with no problems after that.