Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

school me on wifi -

Old 11-27-06, 10:16 AM

school me on wifi -

Ok, so my wonderful sister bought me a laptop - a Compaq V1300 (I think that's the model)

Anyway, my question is - what do I need to do to set up the wireless system? My old computer was a PC, I had internet via an cable modem.

When I turn on the laptop, it picks up other wireless networks, that are password protected so I can't jump on, which is fine b/c I still have my external modem.

So, do I just go an get a wireless router and call Time Warner and find out about their wirless options? (suggestions on who is best for wireless also appreciated) Could it really be that easy?!
Old 11-27-06, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just set up a wireless network for my Wii and DS last week. It really is as easy as buying a wireless router (I went with a D-Link Wireless G) plugging in your modem and that was pretty much it. I went ahead and actually named my network and created a WEP key, something a lot of people don't actually do surprisingly.
Old 11-27-06, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by SmackDaddy
I just set up a wireless network for my Wii and DS last week. It really is as easy as buying a wireless router (I went with a D-Link Wireless G) plugging in your modem and that was pretty much it. I went ahead and actually named my network and created a WEP key, something a lot of people don't actually do surprisingly.
So, I buy the router and hook my modem into it and that's it?

I feel like my mother when I used to explain how to set the time on the vcr! I am so out of touch with new technology!!
Old 11-27-06, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Basically, yes.

I bought my router. Unplugged my modems power, plugged it into my router, powered on my modem/router and pc (which is wired to the router, since I don't have a wi-fi card in it). Set up my wi-fi networks name, and WEP key and that was pretty much it.

My Wii and DS picked up the signal easily and once I entered the proper info, I was able to connect with no problems.
Old 11-27-06, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by SmackDaddy
Basically, yes.

I bought my router. Unplugged my modems power, plugged it into my router, powered on my modem/router and pc (which is wired to the router, since I don't have a wi-fi card in it). Set up my wi-fi networks name, and WEP key and that was pretty much it.

My Wii and DS picked up the signal easily and once I entered the proper info, I was able to connect with no problems.
Sweet! Thanks, SmackDaddy!!