Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

DVD burning problems with Plextor 708A

Old 11-27-06, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

DVD burning problems with Plextor 708A

I tried to burn several dvd's of Thanksgiving pictures and have found that my Plextor 708A DVD burner no longer seems to read DVD media.

I upgraded to the latest firmware and also noticed that all support is discontinued for this burner.

The burner accepts the disc, and alternates blinking green and amber lights, it keep saying to insert a disc. I tried TDK and Fuji media. It will burn CD's although it seems to only want to burn them at 4x or slower.

Any thoughts or is this thing dead.

Thanks.
Old 11-27-06, 05:35 PM

Right click on "My Computer", and click on properties. Then click on "Hardware" tab. Click on "Device Manager" button. When device manager opens, find your burner, in the list, and right click on it. Click on "Uninstall". Once it uninstalls, reboot your computer, and let Windows detect new hardware, and install a new driver for you.

Also make sure burner is in DMA mode, instead of PIO.
To ensure your drives are operating in DMA mode: (1) Control Panel, (2) System, (3) Goto the Hardware Tab, (4) Device Manager, (5) IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers, (6) Right Click on Primary IDE Channel --> Properties, (7) Goto the Advanced Settings Tab, Make sure both drop down boxes say 'DMA if Available', Click OK,(8) Right Click on Seconady IDE Channel --> Properties, (9) Goto the Advanced Settings Tab, Make sure both drop down boxes say 'DMA if Available', Click OK, (10) Reboot.
Good luck!
Old 11-28-06, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks I will give this a try, not sure what happened other than I upgraded from Win 98 to Win 2K Pro over a year ago. Perhaps that changed some settings. I have run the diagnostics and it says the drive is ok.

Just in case I already purchased a new burner but I have not used it so it this works I can return it, thanks again.
Old 11-28-06, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by emoxley
Right click on "My Computer", and click on properties. Then click on "Hardware" tab. Click on "Device Manager" button. When device manager opens, find your burner, in the list, and right click on it. Click on "Uninstall". Once it uninstalls, reboot your computer, and let Windows detect new hardware, and install a new driver for you.

Also make sure burner is in DMA mode, instead of PIO.
To ensure your drives are operating in DMA mode: (1) Control Panel, (2) System, (3) Goto the Hardware Tab, (4) Device Manager, (5) IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers, (6) Right Click on Primary IDE Channel --> Properties, (7) Goto the Advanced Settings Tab, Make sure both drop down boxes say 'DMA if Available', Click OK,(8) Right Click on Seconady IDE Channel --> Properties, (9) Goto the Advanced Settings Tab, Make sure both drop down boxes say 'DMA if Available', Click OK, (10) Reboot.
Good luck!
Hmm well that did not work. I have Win 2K running on two machines. My old one had the options as indicated.

The new one has a SATA drive in it and a SATA to IDE card. The Primary IDE channel has no DMA options but the old machine does. Is that part of my problem? What would happen if I installed a new burner?
Old 11-28-06, 06:41 PM

Sorry, I don't know what else to tell you. One of those two things will usually get it going again. Have you checked to see if there's a firmware upgrade for your burner? Check that and flash the firmware, if there is a newer one. If you do that, and it still doesn't work, try installing the new drive. Make sure you get the jumper right on it. If installing the new one doesn't work either, I'd put the old one back in, and take it in to a shop for service.
Old 11-28-06, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by emoxley
Sorry, I don't know what else to tell you. One of those two things will usually get it going again. Have you checked to see if there's a firmware upgrade for your burner? Check that and flash the firmware, if there is a newer one. If you do that, and it still doesn't work, try installing the new drive. Make sure you get the jumper right on it. If installing the new one doesn't work either, I'd put the old one back in, and take it in to a shop for service.
Yes I did all that thanks for the help.

I believe the problem is related to a SATA drive that I installed last year. Now the SATA drive seems to want to be primary and it seems to have removed my DMA options that you wanted me to look for. Strange that it only seems to affect the DVD burning portion of the drive, it still burns cd's.

I guess replacing the Plextor with another burner would not matter? If the SATA controller is affecting the DMA and the drives then I guess I am out of luck.
Old 11-29-06, 08:13 AM

Try here: http://forums.afterdawn.com/
These folks can help more than me. They can tell you if the SATA drive has anything to do with it.
Good luck!
Old 11-29-06, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ok thanks for the help, I may just buy a whole new pc, put the SATA drive in the new one and return the old box to its original config. That may fix the burner issue on the old box.