Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Best MP3 player?

Old 11-27-06, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Best MP3 player?

Ok, my car has an auxillary port, and I'm thinking about getting a mp3 player to use with it. Now, which ones are the best. Nothing too bulky and something that is EASY to copy files too. I'm looking for more of a drag and drop, not iPod or Zune method (both have software, correct?)

So, any suggestions? I know the 8GB Creative Labs was pretty cheap recently....

Thanks!
Old 11-27-06, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Here are my recommendations for a small car player:

1) Creative Labs MuVo V100 (2 GB model)

2) Panasonic SV-MP020W (2 GB)

Both of which allow you to use Windows Explorer to copy files via "drag and drop" to the player.

If you're willing to learn to use iTunes 7.0.2 I'd still recommend getting an iPod nano 4 GB, since the nano stores quite a lot on the player and there are plentiful accessories to make the player more usable in the car (chargers through the data connector port in your case plus a standard 1/8" inch RCA plug audio cable).

Last edited by RayChuang; 11-27-06 at 06:59 AM. Reason: correct grammar
Old 11-27-06, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks...I loathe iTunes though. I think it screwed with all my files at one point. I loaded it for my brother, and then removed it.

I hate the whole SYNC thing, since I have music in seperate folders, and never worked good for me...although, I'll admit, I gave up quickly, just didn't seem user friendly, and I'm pretty computer savvy. Maybe I was just annoyed at first glance though.
Old 11-27-06, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I really like Creative for drag and drop players. I have one of those small Muvo players and it is great.
Old 11-27-06, 01:09 PM
Retired

Another vote for the creative. I love the 512MB one I use in the gym, and it is drag and drop.
Old 11-27-06, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have an archos 20 gig jukebox recorder that is drag and drap but it is a brick. I just bought a the creative vision m 60 gig player but it isn't drag drop, you have to sync the music to play it. I was unable to find a player that has both a big storage and no syncing. If I do find one I'll probaby return the creative M. This syncing crap is a pain. Why can't they do syncing and drag and drop.

Note the contols are a big issue if you are using it in the car. The ipod click wheel is probably really good. My archos is great in the car. I can control it by touch without looking at it. My creative M is a freaking nightmare. The volume and moving up and down is controled by a touch thing that doesn't click. You kind of tape or rub it. I in up overshooting or picking crap I don't want. Dammit creative can you not make a button. Why the hell you got to be all fancy.

I'd go with an ipod if you want big storage and easy control. If you want a smaller storage than the small creatives are good.
Old 11-28-06, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks....I guess I'll have to research more. I think I loathe the iPod because my brother had it and already had music on it, but he could nto sync it at my house, because the songs are different....doesn't it work that way?
I don't know how itunes really works...as I was frustrated at 5 minutes. People say Itunes is drag and drop? But you still hav eto sync, right. I know all my files got screwed up at one point though.....so, not sure how I feel with ipod. Not a big deal, as I have Sirius in my car anyways, just wanted to use my AUX input also.
Old 11-28-06, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Itunes can be very easy. Let itunes manage your library, drag and drop your music into it, it'll organize them, renaming them consistently if the ID3 tags are good, and put them in the My Documents folder. Plug in your ipod and let it update automatically.
You can download itunes before buying one and just play with it. I didn't think I'd like it, but I did DL it before buying my ipod, and though it took a little while to get used to, I liked it a lot. You can also turn on manual sync, though I don't really know how to use that.
The ipod does want to 'lock into' one 'home base' of itunes, so you're right, you have to be careful when plugging it into another itunes. But I think it says "This ipod is synced with another library, do you want to replace?" just say "no".
Old 11-28-06, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think itunes basically MOVED all my files though. I have my music on a seperate HDD.

Basically, the file structure is this

m:/ROCK/Alice in Chains/Dirt

One day SOMETHING happened where folders were renamed and moved. I'm not saying itunes did it, just weird things happened once.
Old 11-28-06, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

sansa is drag and drop. small...and not too expensive (i paid $130 for the 4 gig model at amazon). displays photos and videos as well, they're not drag and drop, you have the use the sansa converter.

mp3s are 100% drag and drop.

itunes is a rediculous piece of bloatware. why would i want to conform to someone else's method of managing my mp3s?
Old 11-28-06, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
iRiver players are drag-and-drop, and I thought all Creative's were too.
Old 11-28-06, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by crankyman
sansa is drag and drop. small...and not too expensive (i paid $130 for the 4 gig model at amazon). displays photos and videos as well, they're not drag and drop, you have the use the sansa converter.
However, I might want to avoid a Sandisk player because some reviewers complained the software used to copy media files to the player and manage the files on the player is harder to use than it should be. Creative's software to interface with their players works well, since one of their software components integrates with Windows Explorer so you can do drag and drop file copying to the player.
Old 11-29-06, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Sansa's software for syncing photos and videos might be awkward to some reviewers, but no-one should have a problem with the way it syncs songs:

SanDisk gave us the best of both worlds by including MTP and UMS transfer protocols, which are switchable in the user settings. MTP gives you the option to automatically sync your media with Windows Media Player 10 and other DRM services. UMS (SanDisk calls it MSC, or Mass Storage Controller) allows you to drag and drop your music onto the player, keeping the folders organized how you want. UMS also means that the Sansa e200 is compatible with virtually all operating systems. When the device is disconnected after using a UMS connections the player automatically updates and sorts the newly transferred songs to the database.
- anythingbutipod.com review of the Sansa e200 series

Last edited by dugan; 11-29-06 at 02:50 AM.