Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

I-Pod question...8GB vs 30GB

Old 11-27-06, 04:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
I-Pod question...8GB vs 30GB...and the Shuffle

I was thinking about getting an ipod. I saw an 8gb for $249, and a 30gb for the same price. How is this possible? What are the differences? I noticed the 30gb can play video, but shouldn't it cost more? What all can you do with an ipod, and do you have to 'buy' songs, or can you transfer mp3's from your PC/CD's?

Also, what is the ipod Shuffle? I notice it doesn't have a display window, is it tough to use? Do you need another ipod to transfer songs to it??

Thanks,
~S2

Last edited by dvdsteve2000; 11-27-06 at 05:04 AM.
Old 11-27-06, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Here are the plus and minus of both models:

2G iPod nano 8 GB

1) Stores circa 8 GB of audio and still pictures in flash memory.
2) Has up to 24 hours of battery life when playing audio only.
3) Very small form factor.
4) Cannot play videos.
5) Small display could be an issue with some users.
6) Available in black case only.

5.5G iPod 30 GB

1) Store circa 30 GB of audio, video and still pictures on hard drive.
2) Has up to 14 hours battery life playing audio and 3.5 hours battery life playing video.
3) Uses larger display that is easier to read (but maybe too small to see videos).
4) Has form factor twice that of the iPod nano.
5) Could "skip" if player is jarred very hard (though that is not an issue with normal walking or jogging for the most part).
6) Available in both white and black case colors.
Old 11-27-06, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Personally if i were you i would go with the 30GB. Its good to have thw additional storage space and i think that the size difference is very inconsequential unless you are very picky aboutthe size of your MP3 player.
Old 11-27-06, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
Sounds like the 30gb is the way to go. I figured that, but just seemed hard to believe that they were the same price. What's the scoop with the Shuffle (1gb)? Is it worth the $$ for a small player?
Old 11-27-06, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The reason for the price being the same is flash memory. The Nanos do not have any moving parts which makes them much more durable, but Flash memory is more expensive. The video iPods both use HDDs which gives them a lot more storage, but also means they have a disc drive that can get damaged and can fail.
Old 11-27-06, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by darkside
The reason for the price being the same is flash memory. The Nanos do not have any moving parts which makes them much more durable, but Flash memory is more expensive. The video iPods both use HDDs which gives them a lot more storage, but also means they have a disc drive that can get damaged and can fail.
Actually, I wished that Apple had put in a larger-capacity battery for the 30 GB 5.5G iPod. A lot of people don't need 80 GB of media storage but they do like the 20 hours battery life with audio and 6.5 hours with video of the 80 GB iPod.
Old 11-27-06, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RayChuang
Actually, I wished that Apple had put in a larger-capacity battery for the 30 GB 5.5G iPod. A lot of people don't need 80 GB of media storage but they do like the 20 hours battery life with audio and 6.5 hours with video of the 80 GB iPod.
That is the main reason I spent the extra $100 for the 80GB. Battery life on it is excellent. I'm only using 28GB on it right now.
Old 11-27-06, 09:31 AM
Stealth Moderator

Yeah, I'd go with either the:

8GB iPod Nano = flash memory > HDD memory; 24 hour battery life.

or

80GB iPod = definitely worth the extra $100; if I'm gonna get a HDD based player, might as well use it also for external storage; plus much longer battery life than 30GB.
Old 11-27-06, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just got the 80GB iPod as a gift, and I'm only using 6-10GB for music. I'm slowly filling up the rest with movies and TV shows.